[WSBAPT] Prenup vs Postnup

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 15:38:44 PDT 2014

I need a little guidance on a topic outside of my comfort zone.  Estate
planning clients entered into a prenuptial agreement about 24 years ago
and are still married.  Generally upper middle class people with probably
less than $1 mil joint assets) In reviewing their estate planning needs
and reviewing the prenup, I note that many of the assets identified as
separate property in the exhibits in the prenup are now long gone and have
been rolled into new assets such as new savings accounts, etc.  This is
important because under their Wills, separate property goes to children
from previous marriages and community property goes to surviving spouse.
Even the family home remains two sets of separate property based on the
amount contributed by both parties upon purchase regardless of who pays
the mortgage, etc.  I have pointed out that this may be a nightmare for
the surviving spouse because then the surviving spouse is only part owner
of the family residence along with the deceased spouse’s children from a
previous marriage and the kids may try to force a sale in order to get
their money out of the residence.  Not to mention the tracing problems the
surviving spouse and children will have trying to figure out what is still
separate property after 24 years.

OK, still with me?  I need to know if the clients (I have a waiver of
conflict) should just amend their prenup by replacing the exhibits with
updated assets (Exh. A – her separate property and Exh. B – his separate
property) and then add a new Exhibit C for what they agree is their
community property such as the family residence.  (After 24 years, they
have decided this marriage might actually work out.  The both had previous
nasty divorces.)

OR, should they just abandon the prenup and enter into a limited postnup
that identifies current separate property and community property?

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail message is intended to be received only by
persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain.
E-mail messages to clients of Paul A. Neumiller presumptively contain
information that is confidential and legally privileged; e-mail messages
to non-clients are normally confidential and may also be legally
privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward or store this message unless
you are the intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in
error, please forward it back to the sender and delete it completely from
your computer system.

E-mail communication on the Internet may NOT be secure. There is a risk
that this confidential communication may be intercepted illegally. There
may also be a risk of waiving attorney-client and/or work-product
privileges that may attach to this communication. DO NOT forward this
message to a third party. If you have any questions regarding this notice,
please contact the sender.

CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To comply with Treasury Department regulations,
we inform you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any tax advice
contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i)
avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or
any other applicable tax law, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending
to another party any transaction, arrangement, or other matter.

=======================

- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com

with the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe wsbapt - OR -
send a message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from
the wsbapt list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.