[Vision2020] Geomagnetic Storm: Aurora Borealis Visible From Latah County Idaho

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat May 11 17:28:08 PDT 2024

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett
--------------------------------------
Last night the Aurora Borealis was visible quite wonderfully from Latah
County, Idaho.

I did not know this was expected till I looked at the sky last night at
about 10:30 PM.  But today's National Weather Service indicated this is due
to a major geomagnetic storm from our sun's ejections of particles, etc.

I dropped everything, dressed up for the cold night, and gazed at the sky,
which after my eyes adjusted to the dark, revealed Aurora Borealis with
colors and light streaming events enough to be fascinating, beautiful.  I
am lucky that where I live in rural Latah County is far enough away from
light pollution for a good view of the night sky.

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=IDZ003&warncounty=IDC057&firewxzone=IDZ102&local_place1=Moscow%20ID&product1=Special+Weather+Statement&lat=46.7311&lon=-116.991

...EXTREME GEOMAGNETIC CONDITIONS OBSERVED AND SEVERE GEOMAGNETIC
STORMS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE WEEKEND...

The NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center has observed extreme (G5)
geomagnetic conditions early Saturday morning and expects severe
(G4) conditions to continue through the weekend.

* A Geomagnetic Storm of this strength can cause multiple and
  widespread issues with various power and communication systems.

* Widespread voltage control problems may occur; some power grid
  systems may experience component failures, disruption of service
  and protective device trips. This could result in blackouts.

* Pipeline currents can reach hundreds of amps.

* GPS and other satellite navigation may be degraded or
  unavailable for days.

* High Frequency (HF) radio propagation may be impossible in many
  areas for one or two days.

* Low-frequency radio navigation can be out for hours.

* Aurora may be visible at much lower latitudes.