[Vision2020] When I Was a Boy 1960s

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jan 29 05:45:25 PST 2023

When I Was a Boy 1960s

Author unknown

I saw one flag raised and another fall
I saw the great lie of justice and equity for all
I saw a crisis that stopped the world
I saw a wall to keep out the cold
I saw a man in the outer limits of space
I saw the beginning of the space race
I saw a legend in white out my window
I saw the crowds cheering below
I saw the world - it was black and white
I saw its power in sound and sight
I saw a sparrow sing like a nightingale
I saw a band of Merrymen blaze a trail
I saw the Queen of Hearts and King of Camelot
I saw a new generation then I heard a shot
I saw in a far realm class war and snobbery
I saw in that land a great train robbery
I saw another king unlike any before
I saw the greatest reign I ever saw
I saw a mushroom that filled the sky
I saw it and wondered how many would die
I saw in an ancient land a cultural revolution
I saw the problem - not the solution
I saw the voice of freedom in a prison cell
I saw the townships where nameless martyrs fell
I saw a strong motivated and tireless foe
I saw blood where the rice paddies grow
I saw Beatlemania and psychedelic pink
I saw a minstrel who made me stop and think
I saw a spy with a licence to thrill
I saw he carried a gun and a licence to kill
I saw three men who fell to earth
I saw this world in a spiritual dearth
I saw a man dancing with fists of fury
I saw his greatest fight - the fight for equality
I saw a race no one could win
I saw the end of the world begin
I saw peaceful men silenced by a gun
I saw a Presidential race over before it’s begun
I saw streets of fire, anarchy and looting
I saw cults and governments actively recruiting
I saw six days of militarisation
I saw death in the cradle of civilisation
I saw a mother and child dying before my eyes
I saw desperation neither one could disguise
I saw a war of mysticism with brainwashed armies
I saw all the maharishis, gurus and swamis
I saw science fiction become science fact
I saw a space oddity on a distant tract
I saw a revolution and I wanted to scream
I saw Armageddon in a recurring dream
I saw a girl who took my breath away
I saw that I followed her home one day
I saw on Max Yasgur’s farm half a million flock
I saw the drugs and music at Woodstock
I saw helter skelter in a mad frenzied killing
I saw it written in blood and it was chilling
I saw the land of Calypso - its fuse was lit
I saw a death list with my name on it
I saw myself on a long and fateful trip
I saw this all on an immigrant ship

http://www.MoscowCares.net

“A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met.”
- Roy E. Stolworthy