[Vision2020] Moscow adopts climate action plan

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 20:09:43 PDT 2022

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett
---------------------------------------
Below is the response to the URL (
*ci.moscow.id.us/1002/Climate-Action-Plan*
<http://ci.moscow.id.us/1002/Climate-Action-Plan> ) offered in the
Vision2020 post forwarded below:

This site can’t be reached

*ci.moscow.id.us <http://ci.moscow.id.us>* refused to connect.

-----------------------------

But any reference to "net zero emissions" ("...
city government operations reach net zero emissions by 2035.") should be
sliced and diced carefully to expose the potential carbon cycle greenwash
accounting that is sometimes involved in "net-zero" proposals, even by the
well intentioned.  The two articles offered below discuss carbon accounting
tricks that can be misleading:
-----------------------------
The climate crisis can't be solved by carbon accounting tricks

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/03/climate-crisis-carbon-accounting-tricks-big-finance?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR27tU_vJ07bgW9VsaBDoeKdTTeY5KUeFMNSaGOZkXZce1c7hhI5q4v73EM

>From Gavin Schmidt ( https://www.giss.nasa.gov/staff/gschmidt.html ),
NASA's leading climate scientist, as some have claimed, the current
director of the Goddard Institute for Space Studies:

https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2021/11/net-zero-not-zero/

Is net-zero as a scientific concept different from net-zero as a slogan?

"Some parts of the climate community has been hostile to the use of
“net-zero” because, in their eyes, the “net” part allows for bad faith
actors to maintain current emissions while promising unrealistic amounts of
negative emissions in the future to compensate. This is clearly an issue.
Any net-zero pledge needs to be examined for credibility and the proposers
need to be held accountable for the claims. I think it’s inevitable that
some (maybe even all) such pledges will be optimistic about the magnitude
of plausible negative emissions. But is net-zero the same as climate
denial?"