[Vision2020] A tribute to . . .

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Fri Jun 10 10:25:11 PDT 2022

I enrolled in September of 1958 … Washington State College.  The following fall it was Washington State University.  In the spring of 1959, our sorority (Kappa Alpha Theta) joined the Beta Theta Pis to participate in the “Song Fest” Competition.  Dick Batdorf, a member of the Beta house, was our director.  Our group actually had several talented musicians.  The contest required two numbers.  All groups had to sing one, I believe it may have been “I dream of Jeannnie with the Light Brown Hair.”  It had to be sung a cappella.  Then there was a number of your choice.  Ours was from the “Music Man.”  We practiced quite a bit and we thought we sounded great … we expected to win the competition.  But as it turned out, our performance in the required piece was terrible.  Nobody seemed to find the right pitch.    As Dick Batdorf directed, he kept crossing his eyes.  I think we would have been better off had it been a comedy sketch. We certainly wouldn’t have been competition for the Vet students.   For my following three years, we opted to stay out of the competition.

The spring Song Fest was a part of the entertainment for our moms during Mothers Weekend.  There were many activities and I was always exhausted after the weekend was over because my mother insisted upon doing absolutely everything.

Go, Cougs

Shirley Ringo