[Vision2020] Votes shall not be erased

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jul 27 05:17:14 PDT 2022

Courtesy of today’s Moscow-Pullman Daily News with special thanks to Lisa Kliger of Moscow.

—————————————————

Votes shall not be erased

Idaho’s GOP conventioneers should not further insult our state by voting on a Texas-style resolution to “reject 2020 election results” (“Idaho GOP poised to reject 2020 election results,” Daily News, July 15). Rather than perpetuating Trump’s lie that the 2020 election was “stolen” from him, our GOP would be better served to better serve Idaho.

Idaho’s Republican legislators consistently undermine the will and needs of our people, including those who voted them into office. So, how can the party presume to speak for all?

The party would do well to acknowledge that during the 2020 presidential election the antiquated “winner take all” rule of the Electoral College rendered voiceless each and every Idahoan who cast their vote for Joe Biden. In our deep red state, Biden voters were predictably blue when all their votes were “gifted” to Trump. So, while our GOP rallies around Trump’s battle cry of “Stop the steal!” they would be better served to recall that the entirety of Idaho’s votes for Biden were pooled red into Trump’s shifty gaming pocket.

Card-carrying Idaho GOP members clearly have the right to vote as they deem fit. However, it’s “asinine,” says Jim Jones, former Republican state attorney general and Idaho Supreme Court chief justice, that the GOP continues to relitigate an election that has litigated itself to death all the way up to the Supreme Court (“Idaho GOP poised … ” Daily News, July 15). It’s time for our state’s GOP to face reality and support legislation that will improve life in Idaho.

The GOP, nationwide, continues to hammer at the results of a legitimate 2020 presidential election. Let them know that the people’s votes, red or blue, shall not be erased from the rolls, nor our voices be silenced.

Lisa Kliger
Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.net

“A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met.”
- Roy E. Stolworthy