[Vision2020] 6-25-22: Greta Thunberg speaks at Glastonbury 2022: Climate activist rallies for hope

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 19:40:03 PDT 2022

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett
---------------------------------------
"Hope Springs Eternal!"

--Alexander Pope
---------------------------------------

https://www.nme.com/news/music/greta-thunberg-speaks-at-glastonbury-2022-3255832
Greta Thunberg speaks at Glastonbury 2022: “This is not the new normal”by
Jenessa Williams

Environmental activist Greta Thunberg has appeared on Glastonbury’s
<https://www.nme.com/tags/glastonbury> Pyramid Stage this afternoon (June
25) addressing the urgency of the climate change emergency.

Taking to the stage ahead of Haim’s <https://www.nme.com/artists/haim> slot
on the main stage, Thunberg was introduced by festival organiser Emily
Eavis as “the most inspiring speaker of this generation”. With paper notes
to hand, she spoke for roughly ten minutes on a range of sustainability
issues, critiquing Governmental ‘greenwashing’.

“The biosphere is not just changing, it is destabilising, breaking down…
unfortunately, this is not the ‘new normal’. It will get worse until we
manage to halt the constant destruction of our life-supporting systems,
until we prioritise people and planet over profit and greed.”

To enormous applause, she emphasised the importance of collectivity: “If a
bunch of schoolkids were able to get millions of people on the streets to
start changing their lives, just imagine what we could do together if we
really tried?”

To close, Thunberg embraced the spirit of her first Glastonbury, leading
her very own rockstar chant; “when I say climate, you say justice!”

Before her set, big screens implored Glastonbury goers to reuse, reduce and
recycle, as well as showing promotional footage from Greenpeace, Oxfam and
CND, all prominent sponsors of the event.

Thunberg’s speech reiterates the themes of both her 2019 collaboration with The
1975
<https://www.nme.com/news/music/1975-greta-thunberg-call-rebellion-climate-change-shocking-first-taste-new-album-2532012>,
and her forthcoming book, *The Climate Book*, which will include 100
interviews from trusted scientists, communicators and activists from around
the world. It is due to be published by Allen Lane on October 27.