[Vision2020] A History Worth Examination

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Feb 15 05:07:14 PST 2022

Courtesy of today’s Moscow-Pullman Daily News with special thanks to Sydney Freeman.

—————————————————

A History Worth Examination

When I arrived in Moscow on Aug. 1, 2015, to serve as a professor at the University of Idaho, I was curious to know the history of Blacks within our community and the university. Although it took a few years from when I first arrived, in 2019 I began conducting historical research on the contributions of Blacks at the University of Idaho. Over the last three years with assistance from students within the history department and staff from the library, we have launched the Black History Research Lab and have developed an ongoing project that chronicles the impact of Blacks at UI.

 https://www.lib.uidaho.edu/blackhistory/

This digital archive is free and open to the public. And we would encourage members of our community to view this growing collection of essays, visualizations, documents, and images. The project uses archival materials from the University Library to tell the stories of the Black population on campus, past and present.

Currently, the site features a short, historical essay on the first African American enrollee and graduate at UI, Jennie Eva Hughes; a feature on all-American football player Ray McDonald, an interactive timeline detailing the history of the Black Student Union and cultural center space and much more. The site and project are an ongoing collaboration between the University of Idaho Library and the Black History Research Lab that aims to better promote and publicize Black history at the University of Idaho, and to support future research and publication on the subject.

Sydney Freeman, Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.net

“A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met.”
- Roy E. Stolworthy