[Vision2020] Foundation for Women Warriors shares film about a World War II all-Black female Army battalion

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Feb 1 16:52:43 PST 2022

Courtesy of the Stars and Stripes (Army publication) at:

https://www.stripes.com/veterans/2022-01-30/foundation-for-women-warriors-documentary-all-black-female-battalion-4464271.html?utm_source=Stars+and+Stripes+Emails&utm_campaign=0f18fad8cf-Newsletter+-+Military+history&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0ab8697a7f-0f18fad8cf-296485783#

Foundation for Women Warriors shares film about a World War II all-Black female Army battalion

(Tribune News Service) — The women of the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion of the U.S. Army arrived in Europe in February of 1945 to warehouses piled to the ceilings with letters and packages. There was no heat, the windows were blacked out, and rats went after packages that contained spoiled cakes and cookies, according to the U.S. Army Center of Military History.

They were there to sort through millions of pieces of mail that were stalled and not making it to the intended service members, so the 855 women were divided into three, eight-hour shifts and worked seven days a week to fix the Army’s backlogged mail system. They cleared the six-month backlog in England in half that time, and another three-year backlog in France that May.

A lot of people are still unfamiliar with their work and how this all-Black female battalion served their country during World War II, but the Foundation for Women Warriors is hosting a free, online screening of “The Six Triple Eight,” a documentary about the unit, using its nickname. The film starts at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at foundationforwomenwarriors.org.

Jodie Grenier is CEO of the Foundation for Women Warriors, a nonprofit providing support and resources to female veterans and their families. She talked about the film, the racism and misogyny the battalion faced, and the work being done to honor them with the Congressional Gold Medal.

Q: Were you previously familiar with the story of the “Six Triple Eight” before this film?