[Vision2020] Rainbow Bridge

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 19:10:49 PDT 2022

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett
--------------------------------------
"Rainbow Bridge" is also the title of a music album by Jimi Hendirx, and a
film that features JImi Hendrix in live performance..  The music album has
a few pieces that feature Hendrix's brilliant guitar playing.  But It is
amazing the film even exists, given the content that is like a home movie
of  "unusual" seemingly random conservations, that feature Hendirx himself
joining in rather casually.  These conversations strike me as revealing how
in some respects we are rehashing today in different terms the same
cultural problems,  given the "counter-culture" focus of the conversation's
themes.  This 15 minute YouTube segment from the film shows Hendrix, at
least it appears very much to be him, joining into a group conversation at
the 6 minute mark.  Not a media marketing managed appearance by a superstar
musician, that's for sure:  Hendrix talking like a "regular" person, almost
too much so, given his superhuman musical vision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuNUrPYbA2Y

Text below from the YouTube offering above:

Rainbow Bridge is a 1972 film directed by Chuck Wein that features footage
from a Jimi Hendrix concert, and a short piece of conversation between Pat
Hartley, Wein and Hendrix. It was mainly financed by Hendrix manager Mike
Jeffery, hence his appearance. The film is about Pat Hartley's "spiritual
awakening" via a visit to the 'Rainbow Bridge' planetary meditation cult on
Maui, where, as part of the proceedings Jimi Hendrix visits to play a
concert during a 'Rainbow Bridge' mass meditation/colour/sound
"experiment". The "Rainbow Bridge" concert was a free concert by Jimi
Hendrix that was held on July 30, 1970, in a horse pasture above Seabury
Hall, on the "Upcountry" slopes of Haleakala, the volcano that makes up 75%
of the island of Maui, Hawaii, although it probably last erupted in the
17th century, it is officially considered as being active.

A modest audience of a few hundred island hippies, surfers, and students
turned up following announcements that Hendrix would play a free concert
for a film. Hendrix was also in Hawaii to play the last concert on his 'Cry
of Love' tour with his reformed 'Jimi Hendrix Experience' (with Billy Cox
replacing Noel Redding on bass & backing vocals. Mitch Mitchell & Cox were
also previously members of Gypsy Sun and Rainbows). The director Chuck Wein
introduced Hendrix' performance (no mention of a group name) as the driving
force of this 'Rainbow Bridge' "experiment" , (this title is often mistaken
as being the name of the site of this concert rather than the name of this
"Planetary meditation" cult, an extension of the Gaia hypothesis into
spiritual realms). The original cut, not surprisingly used very little of
the concert footage, as this was not intended to be a concert film and no
music from the performance was released on the official Reprise LP "Rainbow
Bridge- Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" for contractual reasons and due
to the original music soundtrack being unreleasable due to its very
substandard sonic quality on account of strong winds that day. The album
does include, however, the studio tracks featured in the film. However, the
music from the concert was distributed as a bootleg recording for three
decades, before Radioactive Records released this same bootleg recording on
the 2003 album, The Rainbow Bridge Concert: The Early Show until it was
withdrawn due to a court action by 'Experience Hendrix' which makes this
officially a 'bootleg' CD release. The 'Rainbow Bridge' concert was the
penultimate performance by Hendrix in the United States, his last was two
days later on August 1, 1970, in Honolulu, Hawaii. Hendrix died less than
two months later on September 18, 1970 in London, England.
SHOW LESS