[Vision2020] WD-40 Ad from 1964

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 18:43:49 PDT 2022

Amazing how the Internet has rendered everyone susceptible to mass
deception, when we should know better...
Humans have always been vulnerable to snake oil, propaganda, and so forth,
but the Internet injects this social/psychological process with warp speed
cognitive steroids, in a manner of speaking.  Of course creating a climate
of misinformation and disinformation serves the needs of political
manipulation of the public insofar as people start to mistrust even
credible sources of information, given the cloud of doubt hovering over all
sources of truth and falsehood.  The "end of experts," as some have
described it...

Someone I know who is a climate change activist was impressed with Jem
Bendell's pseudo-science doomism about global warming, for example, despite
the refutation of some of his climate predictions by credible climate
scientists, such as NASA's Gavin Schmidt.  Pseudo-science illiteracy thus
is a problem for some of those denying human induced global warming is a
major problem, as well as for many who have jumped on the climate change
problem bandwagon.

Another example is the tall tale about Daryl Hannah being pregnant at 61
years old, which a friend of mine claimed was a good example of older women
being capable of such a biological capability.  I was actually disappointed
to feel compelled to inform my friend this was likely just a "satire."

Is Daryl Hannah Pregnant at Age 61? | Snopes.com
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/daryl-hannah-pregnant/>

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett