[Vision2020] Yay for innovation

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 19:56:03 PDT 2021

Innovation?  Ha, ha, ha... Who would be against "innovation?"  As if we are
to always assume the most noble and ethical intentions, and the most
favorable outcomes for society, when corporate bottom line market
forces pursue "innovation?"  Free market fundamentalism?
***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2000 through life
plus 70 years, Ted Moffett.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce
outside the Vision2020.Moscow.com <http://vision2020.moscow.com/> forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****

A couple of quotes from website copied below:
https://u.osu.edu/introhumanitiesonline/tag/market-fundamentalism/

COMPARATIVE STUDIES 1100: INTRODUCTION TO THE HUMANITIES, SPRING 2020
<https://u.osu.edu/introhumanitiesonline/>

Market Fundamentalism

"...the term “Market Fundamentalism” was coined by Nobel Prize winner and
former chief economist of the World Bank itself –Joseph Stiglitz.
--------------------------------------

Stiglitz (2015) stated in an recent interview “The theories that I (and
others) helped develop explained why unfettered markets often not only do
not lead to social justice, but do not even produce efficient outcomes.
Interestingly, there has been no intellectual challenge to the refutation
of Adam Smith’s invisible hand: individuals and firms, in the pursuit of
their self-interest, are not necessarily, or in general, led as if by an
invisible hand, to economic efficiency.”

The myths of Market Fundamentalism include:

   1. The market is the only source of innovation and it must be left alone
   if we want to accelerate technological change.
   2. Government will always spend money less productively than private
   citizens; this is why tax cuts are almost always a good idea.
   3. Regulation of business is wasteful, unproductive and usually
   unnecessary.
   4. Financial markets thrive when regulation is kept to a minimum.
   5. Private firms will always produce a good or a service more
   efficiently than the government.
   6. It is wrong to regulate wages or executive compensation because
   markets always get prices right.
   7. Government assistance always ends up hurting the people it is
   supposed to help.

The European Union has been subjected to criticism in the past, some