[Vision2020] Simon Clark on colder winters

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 20:58:14 PDT 2021

A possibly related science article on episodes of increased cold and/or
snow in the Northern Hemisphere linked to anthropogenic global warming was
posted to Vision2020 in 2012, as shown below.  However, winters are not
getting colder in total on average:
Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com>
Moscow Vision 2020 <vision2020 at moscow.com>
Mar 8, 2012, 10:55 AM

PNAS first published February 27, 2012;
https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1114910109

   1.

PNAS: Arctic Sea Ice Decline May Be Driving Snowy Winters in N.
HemisphereImpact
of declining Arctic sea ice on winter snowfall | PNAS
<https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/02/17/1114910109>
Abstract

While the Arctic region has been warming strongly in recent decades,
anomalously large snowfall in recent winters has affected large parts of
North America, Europe, and east Asia. Here we demonstrate that the decrease
in autumn Arctic sea ice area is linked to changes in the winter Northern
Hemisphere atmospheric circulation that have some resemblance to the
negative phase of the winter Arctic oscillation. However, the atmospheric
circulation change linked to the reduction of sea ice shows much broader
meridional meanders in midlatitudes and clearly different interannual
variability than the classical Arctic oscillation. This circulation change
results in more frequent episodes of blocking patterns that lead to
increased cold surges over large parts of northern continents. Moreover,
the increase in atmospheric water vapor content in the Arctic region during
late autumn and winter driven locally by the reduction of sea ice provides
enhanced moisture sources, supporting increased heavy snowfall in Europe
during early winter and the northeastern and midwestern United States
during winter. We conclude that the recent decline of Arctic sea ice has
played a critical role in recent cold and snowy winters.

Here is a link to a 7:49 video by Simon Clark, Ph.D., on his academic