[Vision2020] Consistency needed

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Sep 21 05:04:20 PDT 2021

I agree 1,000,000,000 . . . %.  We must look after each other.  Like a poster in my office at home suggests . . . “One hand washes the other”.

Courtesy of today’s Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Joann Muneta.

—————————————————-

Consistency needed

The Aug. 21 meeting of the Moscow Planning and Zoning Commission approval vote of annexation and zoning for the proposed Woodbury Addition left me wondering. According to Moscow code, P&Z annexation and zoning must be consistent with Comprehensive Plan goals, objectives, and implementation actions. Clearly this proposal is not consistent with the Comprehensive Plan.

Chapter 5 evaluates the city’s projected growth in light of its available water supply, public facilities, infrastructure, services and available land for development and calls for providing for sustainable growth and for the sustainable management and development of local and regional water resources and supplies to meet the needs of both current and future residents. It also states that groundwater withdrawals by all users must be managed in order to keep the aquifers available for continued use.

The development in question will lead to expanded use of groundwater without providing for withdrawal management, thus the rezone is not consistent with the Comprehensive Plan. When this was pointed out, the response was that the Comprehensive Plan is “just a vision.” Vision or not, consistency is required for the plan to have any meaning.

Joann Muneta
Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.net

“A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met.”
- Roy E. Stolworthy