[Vision2020] Mayoral candidates talk climate, roles of office

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 20:12:19 PDT 2021

Rathbun prefaced her reply by saying she was “going to get the hate from
everybody.”

“I think the science is still out there on climate change, and before I go
forcing anybody to do anything we need to get some settled science,” she
said. “There is just too much out there on this side and that side.”

Rathbun is certainly wrong when she stated she was "going to get the hate
from everybody" due to her comments as quoted above.  A significant number
of individuals within the city limits of Moscow do not take human induced
global warming seriously, from a number of different perspectives, even
among some who will spout lip-service to the climate science indicating
there is a major problem, while they engage in a lifestyle which, when
analyzed broadly, is the problem.  Suggest to some of these oh so
enlightened "progressives" that they must dramatically lower their
consumption of energy and resources to mitigate global warming, and cover
your ears when they start to howl!  How unrealistic and impractical!

Also, consider that the law of gravity is not "settled science" either,
given the ongoing explorations by modern physicists of Einstein's
Relativity Theory, as it relates to gravity.  But as with the climate
science that has been ongoing since the 1800s indicating human sourced
greenhouse gas emissions are dramatically warming the Earth's climate, only
a few "scientists" on the fringes, who have professional competence in the
appropriate scientific field, will insist we should dismiss as woefully
uncertain the force of gravity, or the problem of anthropogenic global
warming.

>From the National Center for Science Education website, the following
satirical offering titled "Gravity: It's Only a Theory," though presented
to address pseudo-scientific arguments to undermine the theory of
evolution, can apply to the pseudo-scientific analysis behind the human
induced global warming is not "settled science" approach to dismissing the
need for the urgent action humanity should be undertaking to address
anthropogenic global warming.

https://ncse.ngo/gravity-its-only-theory
Also relevant, the following 2020 analysis from a doctoral thesis by
Shelly A. Galliah is worth reading, as quoted below:
https://digitalcommons.mtu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2105&context=etdr

  2.2 The Manufactured Scientific Controversy of Climate Change
 "A key strategy in climate change disinformation campaigns, one
appropriated by the Fox News Channel and the other doubt-manufacturers
mentioned in sections 2.3-2.6, is creating a manufactured scientific
controversy or manufactroversy. According to Ceccarelli (2011), a
scientific controversy is “manufactured” in the public sphere when an
“arguer announces that there is an ongoing scientific debate in the
technical sphere about a matter for which there is actually an overwhelming
scientific consensus on the corresponding issue” (p. 269)"

---------------------------------------Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

Courtesy of the *Moscow-Pullman Daily News* at: