[Vision2020] Caturday (November 6, 2021)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Nov 6 05:18:06 PDT 2021

 Welcome to a happy ending on Caturday.

Courtesy of the Patch (Bridgewater, NJ) at:

https://patch.com/new-jersey/bridgewater/starving-cat-left-dead-snowbank-adopted-raritan-fosters?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

—————————————————

Starving Cat Left For Dead In Snowbank Adopted By Raritan Fosters
Camper was left for dead before a foster with Somerset Regional Animal Shelter took him in and fell in love before adopting him for good

SOMERSET COUNTY, NJ — Nine months since Camper was left for dead in a snowbank in Manville, he now has a new lease on life.

He is gaining weight, loved and recently found his "furever" when he was adopted by his foster parents Nancy and Paul Gedbaw from Raritan.

A Good Samaritan found the elderly cat weighing only 3 pounds in a snowbank off Camplain Road in Manville in late February. He was taken to Somerset Regional Animal Shelter where he was nursed back to health.

 Gedbaw used to work for the shelter and now volunteers as a foster. She took in Camper because she always favored the senior cats since no one wants them.

She started fostering Camper on March 5.

"He was in isolation at first because he was ill. Then one day he sat on the floor crawled into my lap and into my chest and began purring," said Gedbaw. "I fell in love immediately."

Gedbaw said her intention was to take Camper home and keep him there until he recovered. But plans changed.

"Yeah, we just fell in love with him," said Gedbaw.

Gedbaw ended up adopting Camper on July 20. Since then he has been slowly gaining weight. When he first came to Gedbaw's home he weighed 5.5 pounds. The vet said Camper should weigh around 9 pounds.
"We just wanted to get him out of the shelter to recover in a nice environment and gain weight," said Gedbaw.

Camper is a long cat that loves to eat despite his mouth issues which require a high dose of steroids.

Since September, Camper has continued to gain and weighs around 7 pounds.

"He is a super loving cat, still a little skittish," said Gedbaw. "He is super affectionate and really a social eater. He won't eat if no one is around."
Camper is also a "counter surfer", who enjoys jumping on the counter.

Camper is estimated to be about 12 years old and with his age Gedbaw said keeping him home with her was better than being in the shelter.

"It's a better lifestyle, less energy," said Gedbaw. "He is better in a quiet household. He has brought life to our household."

To learn more about Somerset Regional Animal Shelter or to make a donation visit srasnj.org or facebook.com/FOSRAS. The shelter at 100 Commons Way in Bridgewater is open daily for adoptions from noon to 3:30 p.m.

—————————

Photos . . .

Camper in his new "furever" home in Raritan.
http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/Caturday/Caturday_110621.jpg

“Caturday” by Linus Petit
http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/Caturday/Caturday_by_Linus_Petit.mp3

http://www.MoscowCares.net

“A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met.”
- Roy E. Stolworthy