[Vision2020] These 9 Photos of Idaho In the 1960s are Mesmerizing

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 20:25:15 PDT 2021

[image: image.png]

An image of Moscow, Idaho, before the Kibbie Dome was built in 1971. This
image was captured in the late 1960s.
***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2000 through life
plus 70 years, Ted Moffett.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce
outside the Vision2020.Moscow.com <http://vision2020.moscow.com/> forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****

I recall running Moscow High School track team races on the University of
Idaho cinder track that should be somewhere in this photo, if not blocked
from view.  One two mile race in particular was torture!  But at least by
joining the track and cross country teams, I was displaying my conformity
to the male image of athletic prowess and dominance, typical of our
culture's patriarchal ideology, while quite deliberately avoiding the even
more extreme celebration of male violence, the implicit endorsement of
brutality as a legitimate strategy for "success," manifested by the culture
of high school football, which amounts to school sponsored child abuse.  I
thus thankfully avoided the long term physical and/or brain injuries that
football might have inflicted.
Still, the occasional reminder that the "distance fags," as some of the
elite popular insiders playing football labeled the distance runners in
cross country and track, had not earned the full measure of male
power/popularity the football players assumed, was a reminder of the
socially/politically conditioned vectors of power that were then, and
remain now, dominant in our culture.The NFL is the most profitable sport in
the US.  How easy it is to make this

Courtesy of Only in Your State . . .