[Vision2020] 5-27-21 Reuters: Biden administration backs Alaska oil drilling project approved under Trump

Ron Force ronforce at gmail.com
Sun May 30 21:39:49 PDT 2021

Here's why Alaska is desperate to pump oil from ANWAR:

   - Without new oil the Alaska pipeline shuts down.
   - Without continued tax receipts from oil, the Alaska state budget might
   have to resort to increasing taxes.
   - Congressional Republicans count on oil taxes to allow more tax cuts.

The senators touted that opening the refuge would provide “billions of
dollars in federal and state revenue” and “reduce our deficit.” Indeed,
congressional Republicans are counting on
<https://www.cbo.gov/publication/53301?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzEmail&utm_content=812526&utm_campaign=Express_2017-11-09_08%3A00>
nearly
$1.1 billion dollars in revenue from ANWR drilling over the next decade to
fund proposed corporate tax cuts and broader tax reform.
If developing the ANWR is important for the economics of the Republican tax
plan, it’s the Holy Grail for a state struggling with a $3-billion-dollar
annual budget deficit. Low oil production and prices have severely
undermined the state’s finances, not unlike during the 1980s recession.
Tapping the Arctic Refuge has long been touted as the cure-all when low oil
prices have thrown the state into financial panic.
https://e360.yale.edu/features/trans-alaska-pipeline-is-fueling-the-push-to-drill-arctic-refuge

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA