[Vision2020] Fwd: Moscow 100% Clean Energy!

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 21:26:26 PDT 2021

I got the email forwarded below ("Breaking news!") that was a surprise,
identified as originating from a person I barely know, whose name though I
have associated with someone involved in addressing global warming or
environmental issues broadly... I do not know if it is accurate or credible
or worth pursuing, nor if someone already posted this content to Vision2020.

Maybe my computer is now hacked by a sinister viorus or something!

Ha, ha...
---------------------------------------
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

*Breaking news!*

Do you want an *easy and effective way* to help set the next community-wide
climate action goal this year?*  Encourage your Moscow mayor and city
council to commit to 100% clean energy!  *

Inside conversations have led to the discovery that the mayor and city
council have only received a handful of direct emails at this point - *we
need your help!*

*Here’s how:*

Send in a quick and easy email to your elected officials using one of the
sample script and bullet points below.  *But *don’t just copy and paste the
bullet point; use it as a starting point.  We recommend only picking one
reason and diving into that.

*Step 1:* Copy and paste the form letter script below into your email.

*Step 2: *Copy and paste a bullet point below the form letter script, and
then rewrite it into your own personal story

*Step 3: *Copy & paste Mayor Lambert’s and city council emails into the
email, and send!

*Emails*

blambert at ci.moscow.id.us

abettge at ci.moscow.id.us, skelly at ci.moscow.id.us, mlaflin at ci.moscow.id.us,
bsullivan at ci.moscow.id.u <bsullivan at ci.moscow.id.us>,
gtaruscio at ci.moscow.id.us, azabala at ci.moscow.id.us

*Sample form letter script:*

Dear Moscow officials,

There are many benefits Moscow will realize by setting an ambitious goal
for 100% renewable energy by 2045 and electricity by 2035.  This goal will
contribute to the city’s prosperity and quality of life by embracing the
climate economy coming.

*[your story or reason for supporting this - use one of the bullet points
below to fill this in]*

Moscow can help lead the way for Idaho to transition to a 100% renewable
energy sector. As the public officials of one of the most prominent cities
in the state, you have the power to influence companies and state
regulators. You can build on your admirable track record of innovation and
leadership by convening stakeholders to find the best path towards a clean
energy future.

Please, this year commit to just, economically vibrant and 100% clean and
renewable energy!

Thank you,

[*name*]

*Sample bullet points to choose from:*

·         Right now about 44% of Moscow’s electricity comes from coal and
natural gas, the dirtiest and most carbon-intensive energy sources in
existence. Meanwhile clean energy sources are more reliable and cheaper
than ever before. To protect our quality of life we must commit to clean,
affordable energy by transitioning from fossil fuels to Idaho’s vast clean
energy resources.

·         Growing our economy. Major corporations including Google, Apple,
and Facebook are striving for 100% clean energy. Increasingly, high tech
industries want to locate in areas where they can get clean energy. A 100%
carbon-free energy goal would further Moscow’s leadership in clean
technology industries and attract new high tech businesses, creating good
local jobs. Also, investing in regional clean energy generation will keep
millions of economy-stimulating dollars right here in our area instead of
sending this money all over the world to purchase dirty fossil fuels.

o    The Biden Administration has also shown a willingness and desire to
provide millions of dollars in infrastructure development that will also go
to mitigating the climate crisis.  Making a clean energy commitment that is
in-line with Biden’s administration will position Moscow to the front of
the line for federal funding.

·         Stabilizing energy costs for citizens and businesses. The cost of
coal power is rising every day, both from more expensive mining and
necessary pollution controls. The cost of natural gas is highly volatile.
Meanwhile clean energy is getting cheaper and better every day.
Transitioning to clean energy means stable and affordable energy costs.

·         Protecting our quality of life. Moscow’s historical patterns of
temperature and precipitation, along with our abundant clean water and
clear air are key to ensuring Moscow continues to be one of the most
livable and vibrant cities in the nation. Replacing fossil fuels with clean
energy will protect the foundation of Moscow’s quality of life and local
economy.

·         Improving public health. Climate change is causing more frequent
and intense forest fires and the resulting hazardous smoke. Extreme summer
heat drives up ozone levels, threatening the health of Moscow’s citizens,
particularly children and the elderly. A clean energy economy will counter
the rising health impacts of climate change and provide the foundation for
more resilient, healthy communities.