[Vision2020] Correcting Sherwin

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jun 6 05:00:55 PDT 2021

Courtesy of today’s (June 6, 2021) Lewiston Tribune with special thanks to the Palouse Pundit, Nick Gier.

—————————————————

Correcting Sherwin

I regret to inform Dick Sherwin (May 27) that his attempt to defend his friend, Marvin Dugger, (May 9) has failed.

The cost of funding NATO in 2019 was $1.5 billion, not the $6.5 trillion Sherwin mistakenly quoted and then corrected. Of that total, the U.S. paid $685 million. Sherwin is egregiously incorrect in stating that “no other nation paid more than $650 billion.”

Dugger was right that the U.S. used to pay 22 percent of the $1.5 billion, but in 2019 the U.S. agreed to reduce the amount to 16 percent, as I mentioned in my letter (May 16).

Dugger is completely wrong when he claims that the U.S. paid “almost the full bill.” Germany’s contribution was nearly 15 percent, and France and the UK stood at 10.5 percent each.

Sherwin questions my assertion that since 2014 there has been a steep increase in NATO members’ defense budgets. Check out graphs 3 and 6 at https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/2020/10/pdf/pr-2020-104-en.pdf.

I stand corrected that there were only 30 armored Humvees (out of 230) in President Barack Obama’s $195 million military aid package to Ukraine, but it was ridiculous that Dugger wrote that Obama only sent “food and blankets.”

Sherwin does not mention that President Donald Trump withheld military aid for Ukraine for six months because he wanted dirt on the Bidens. He also started a pullout of 12,000 troops from Germany as revenge for perceived slights from Chancellor Angela Merkel.

There is no question the Europeans are relieved that Joe Biden is president.

Nick Gier
Moscow

http://www.moscowcares.com/

“A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met.”
- Roy E. Stolworthy