[Vision2020] Hippie Cowboy

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jan 24 05:02:11 PST 2021

Hippie Cowboy
(author unknown)

I was sixteen, back in '68.
Peace and love, Babe, it was great!
I wore John Lennon glasses and love beads, too,
Nehrus, Dashikis and bell bottoms of blue.

I grooved to the Beatles, Puckett and the Doors,
Drove my Camaro and made love outdoors!
I was such an idealistic young man.
I longed for freedom, love and peace in the land!

All too soon, my youth was all through.
I served my country in Air Force blue.
23 years later, I look back on my life.
Through tough times, I raised two kids with my wife.

The hippie's turned into a cowboy now,
Yet, in many things they are the same somehow.
I still believe in freedom, peace and love
And in a risen Saviour that lives above.

The songs I sing don't have the same beat,
Yet they are still about love's burning heat.
Old Hank, Jr. and I are still protesting, too.
We still want justice under the red, white, and blue.

The hippie and the cowboy once eyed each other in hate.
It seems we were entering the same corral just through a different gate.
I've cut my hair and now Willie's is long.
The rhythm's changed, but it's still the same song.

The hippie smoked grass, the cowboy drank brew.
We were both getting loose, lookin' for lovin', too.
Flowered covered beetle or pickup truck,
We were cruisin' through life, hopin' for luck.

Instead of sandals, I wear cowboy boots.
I guess you'd say, I've returned to my roots.
Yes, the hippie is an old cowboy today,
But he'll look for peace and love till his dyin' day.

http://www.moscowcares.com/

“A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.” - Roy E. Stolworthy