[Vision2020] Caturday (February 6, 2021)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Feb 6 05:29:39 PST 2021

 Stray cat savior: woman who makes and gives away feline shelters taught her grandkids to help her out. She said it helps teach them the importance of being compassionate to all living creatures. Welcome to Caturday.

Courtesy of the Canton Repository (Canton, Ohio) at:

https://www.cantonrep.com/story/news/2021/02/04/alliances-sharon-brady-makes-gives-away-shelters-stray-cats/6603825002/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

——————————————-
Stray cat savior: Alliance woman makes, gives away feline shelters

It started when a stray cat appeared on Sharon Brady's porch.

She noticed a cat regularly seeking shelter outside her Alliance home over the summer, so she decided to get a heated cat house.

The feline, which she named Jimmy, kept coming back. One day, it showed up sick.

Concerned, Brady made a Facebook post asking for advice on what she should do to help. She got in touch with Don Burrier, who makes cat shelters in the Akron and Canton areas. When Burrier brought Brady a trap to catch the sick cat and provide the care it needed, they discussed the need for cat shelters in the Alliance area.

"Amidst our talks, I decided to get some of the boxes that he had started," Brady said.

Since then, Brady, 50, has continued to construct shelters that she gives away on Facebook to help manage Alliance’s feral cat population.

Brady said the feral cat population is increasing significantly in Alliance and will continue to unless people take steps to manage it.

The shelters can be used to help handle the population as part of a method known as trap-neuter-return or TNR.

Additionally, Brady said, the houses provide feral cats, which often seek shelter in cars and garages during poor weather, a place to go.

Brady makes the shelters are made from Styrofoam medical coolers. She cuts a hole into the side, stuffs it with straw and tapes the lid on with packing tape.

If the shelter is going to be placed somewhere where it will be exposed to harsh weather conditions, Brady covers the top with a trash bag.

"It really doesn't (take a long time) once you get a system down," she said.

Brady often makes the shelters with her grandchildren: Cameron, 10, Justin, 7, and Wesley, 4, Hockinson. She said it helps teach them the importance of being compassionate to all living creatures.

"This is just a little way for them to help," Brady said.

After Brady constructs the shelters, she offers them to anyone on Facebook. So far, she has built around 90 shelters.

Betty Giacometti, of Alliance, saw one of Brady's Facebook posts and got a shelter for the cats that live on her property.

"I have three indoor cats, but there are several that hang around outside," Giacometti said. "I'm a cat lover, and I didn't have a shelter for the ones that were out there in the winter."

Giacometti said the shelters help familiarize feral cats with certain locations so someone can more easily trap them, spay or neuter them and release them outdoors.

Anyone interested in donating to the making of the shelters can contact Brady on Facebook.

“Even five dollars helps to get a cat fixed so we can break the cycle of these mommas having kittens out here,” Brady said.

————————

Photos . . .

http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/Caturday/Caturday_020621_01.jpg

http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/Caturday/Caturday_020621_02.jpg

http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/Caturday/Caturday_020621_03.jpg

http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/Caturday/Caturday_020621_04.jpg

“Caturday” by Linus Petit
http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/Caturday/Caturday_by_Linus_Petit.mp3

http://www.moscowcares.com/

“A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.” - Roy E. Stolworthy