[Vision2020] Mirror Image

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Dec 7 05:02:12 PST 2021

Mirror Image

by Greta Zwaan

We spend so much of our income in our quest to impress those we know;
We often go over budget and find that our funds are too low.
We have to keep up with the Jones's, or better still, one step ahead;
We must not be known as failures - horrendous! The thing that we dread.

We strive so hard for improvements that billions of dollars are spent,
Cosmetically we try enhancements as if they were heaven's scent!
We buy all the latest inventions, creams, gels, even sprays
To grow the hair, improve the skin, as if they'd lengthen our days.

We love to eat, and then diet; our minds are consumed with our weight;
We pamper our appearance to man, this image we try to create.
Consider this: God's approval; or does He not enter the plan?
Is it naught that He's the Creator in charge of each breath of man?

He's been shoved aside for "perfection," His power we do not discuss,
We know our wants and our pleasures, delighting in what's best for us.
We don't see the path of destruction, nor the ruin we surely will face,
This journey will lead to disaster; this road is the path of disgrace.

It's time we changed our direction, it's time to set our hearts free,
It's time to change our allegiance, to take our eyes off "just me."
We have a purpose for living, but not what the mirror reveals,
The skin, the hair or the figure only answer to worldly appeals.

It's God who looks on the inside, who tests where the heart ought to be,
It's God who brings satisfaction, who you, your true self to see.
And though the picture's not pretty, mostly it's all disarray,
God is still able to cleanse us, to start us on a new way.

Forget what you see in the mirror, go deeper and check out the heart;
You'll find a new way of living, as the old desires depart.

http://www.MoscowCares.net

“A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met.”
- Roy E. Stolworthy