[Vision2020] When I Was A Boy: 1960s

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Aug 10 05:03:47 PDT 2021

When I Was A Boy: 1960s

by Keith Trestrail

I saw one flag raised and another fall
I saw the great lie of justice and equity for all

I saw a crisis that stopped the world
I saw a wall to keep out the cold

I saw a movie under the stars in Diego Martin
I saw it on the big screen at the drive-in

I saw a legend in white out my window
I saw the crowds cheering below

I saw the world - it was black and white
I saw its power in sound and sight

I saw a sparrow that sung like a nightingale
I saw a band of Merrymen blaze a trail

I saw the queen of hearts and king of Camelot
I saw a new generation - then I heard a shot

I saw in a far realm a class war and snobbery
I saw in that land a great train robbery

I saw another king unlike any before
I saw the greatest reign I ever saw

I saw a mushroom that filled the sky
I saw it and wondered how many would die

I saw in an ancient land a cultural revolution
I saw the problem - not the solution

I saw the voice of freedom in a prison cell
I saw the townships where nameless martyrs fell

I saw a strong, motivated and tireless foe
I saw blood where the rice paddies grow

I saw Beatlemania and psychedelic pink
I saw a minstrel who made me stop and think

I saw a spy with a license to thrill
I saw he carried a gun and a license to kill

I saw three men who fell to Earth
I saw this world in a spiritual dearth

I saw a man dancing with fists of fury
I saw his greatest fight - the fight for equality

I saw a race no-one could win
I saw the end of the world begin

I saw peaceful men silenced by a gun
I saw a presidential race over before it had begun

I saw streets of fire - anarchy and looting
I saw cults and governments actively recruiting

I saw six days of militarisation
I saw death in the cradle of civilisation

I saw a mother and child dying before my eyes
I saw desperation neither one could disguise

I saw the crowning of a future king
I saw it and thought what a noble thing

I saw a war of mysticism with brainwashed armies
I saw all the maharishis, gurus and swamis

I saw science fiction become science fact
I saw a space oddity on a distant tract

I saw a revolution and I wanted to scream
I saw Amageddon in a recurring dream

I saw a girl who took my breath away
I saw that I followed her home one day

I saw on Max Yasgur's farm half a million flock
I saw the mud and the music at Woodstock

I saw helter skelter in a mad frenzied killing
I saw it written in blood - it was chilling

I saw the land of calypso - its fuse was lit
I saw a death list with my name on it

I saw myself on a long and fateful trip
I saw this all on an immigrant ship

I saw this decade through the eyes of a child
I saw by its hopes and dreams I was beguiled.

http://www.MoscowCares.net

“A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met.”
- Roy E. Stolworthy