[Vision2020] Composer Maria Schneider's Grammy Winning & Pulitzer Prize Finalist Music "Data Lords"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 18:58:56 PDT 2021

https://jazz.fm/maria-schneider-data-lords-pulitzer-prize-music/
https://www.mariaschneider.com/home/albuminfo?id=1083
https://www.stereophile.com/content/maria-schneider-there-anybody-out-there

>From Stereophile interview at website above:

"The data lords are gathering data and giving it to organizations that then
manipulate us with the things they know about us, things that we don't even
know about ourselves," says five-time Grammy Award–winning composer,
conductor, producer, and band leader Maria Schneider. "They give our data
to any company that'll pay for it to manipulate you, specifically targeting
your vulnerabilities. It takes away freedom of thought, a true discourse
where people are thinking for themselves. Count me out."

------------------------------------
Maria Schnieder might not agree with this comparison, but perhaps some of
the themes explored musically in her album "Data Lords" are related to
Harvard economics professor Shoshana Zuboff's "The Age of Surveillance
Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power."
https://www.publicaffairsbooks.com/titles/shoshana-zuboff/the-age-of-surveillance-capitalism/9781610395694/

"In this masterwork of original thinking and research, Shoshana Zuboff
provides startling insights into the phenomenon that she has named
surveillance capitalism. The stakes could not be higher: a global
architecture of behavior modification threatens human nature in the
twenty-first century just as industrial capitalism disfigured the natural
world in the twentieth."
Text from inside the double CD Data Lords album, one CD named "The Digital
World" the other "Our Natural World:"

A story of two worlds...

one clutters the mind, the other clears it
one seduces and exploits, the other nurtures
one ultimately isolates, the other truly connects
one clamors for our attention, the other simply awaits it
one force-feeds answers, the other inspires questions
one manipulates our thoughts, the other grants freedom of thought