[Vision2020] Pentagon Says It Will Close 'Stars and Stripes’

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Sep 5 05:31:47 PDT 2020

It’s like saying good-bye to an old friend. Thinking back when I was assigned to Merrell Barracks (Nurnberg, Germany, ’71-’73), back when my wife accompanied me to Korea (’76-’77), to Kelley Barracks (Stuttgart, Germany, ’77-’82), and Harvey Barracks (Kitzingen, Germany, ’85-’88), Stars and Stripes and AFN Radio kept us “in the know” about what was going on stateside.

“Stars and Stripes”
https://www.stripes.com/

Stars and Stripes will be deeply missed.

Courtesy of NPR AT:

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/04/909689208/pentagon-says-it-will-close-stars-and-stripes-newspaper

———————————————

Pentagon Says It Will Close 'Stars and Stripes,' But Trump Says It Won't Happen

The Pentagon ordered the closure of the venerable military newspaper Stars and Stripes on Friday. But hours later, President Trump tweeted that he wouldn't allow that to happen "under my watch."

The twists and turns played out as Trump faced a firestorm of criticism for reportedly calling American Marines who died in World War I "losers" and "suckers." Trump vehemently denied the remarks, though several news organizations have cited sources saying he made the statements in 2018 during a trip to France.

Stars and Stripes remains popular among many members of the military and has bipartisan support in Congress, especially among those who served in the armed forces.

But a memo signed by U.S. Army Col. Paul Haverstick said the newspaper would be shut down by Sept. 30, the last day of the government's 2020 fiscal year. The memo gave no reason for closing the publication other than saying funding was not in next year's budget request.

While Friday's developments created plenty of questions about the future of the newspaper, its fate will involve input from Trump, the Pentagon and Congress.

The White House budget request earlier did not seek funding for Stars and Stripes. But if Trump now wants that money for the newspaper, the Pentagon would likely go along.

http://www.TomandRodna.com/MoscowCares

“A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.” - Roy E. Stolworthy