[Vision2020] Stunned

Don Coombs wildmushroomer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 09:24:07 PDT 2020

Subject: Stunned
To: <Vision2020 at moscow.com>

Stunned, that's me. Not because the publisher of the Spokesman Review
endorsed Donald Trump, but because he HAS been reading his own newspaper
and knows how wretched a president Trump has been--

And STILL endorses him. I'll share that endorsement with you below, but
first I want to report that Shawn Vestal -- one of the Spokesman Review's
true talents -- is in the paper this morning, saying "OK, don't agree with
the publisher, but don't take it out on the newspaper." Shawn makes a good
case, and I agree with him. Newspapers need all the help they can get these
days.

Don Coombs

Editorial Endorsement, Spokesman Review, 10/25/2020

 President: Donald Trump

Donald Trump is a bully and a bigot. He is symptomatic of a widening
partisan divide in the country. We recommend voting for him anyway because
the policies that Joe Biden and his progressive supporters would impose on
the nation would be worse.

The list of Trump’s offenses is long. He panders to racists and prevents
sensible immigration reform in a nation built on immigrant labor and
intellect. He tweets conspiracy theories. He’s cavalier about COVID-19 and
has led poorly through the pandemic. He seeks to dismantle the Affordable
Care Act without proposing a replacement. He denies climate change.

Voters knew his character in 2016 and elected him anyway. Four years later,
the nation is still standing. Indeed, in many ways it flourished until the
pandemic upended everything.

The economy and markets roared under Trump’s championship of market-based
solutions and individualism. Unemployment among communities of color
reached record lows. He reset trade and diplomatic relationships in
America’s favor. He provided historically high support for traditionally
Black colleges. He rolled back extreme environmental regulations and led
the way for U.S. energy independence. He backed federal sentencing reform
to address inordinately high American incarceration rates. And he’s
committed to supporting law and order in American cities.

Biden might win on personality and comity, but his policies would strike at
the economic well-being of the country. He favors massive growth in
government and a historic increase in federal spending through green
initiatives, free health services, free education and other ideas grounded
in reliance on the state as savior rather than creating an environment in
which individual liberty and hard work can thrive. Public employee unions
would hold outsized power and demand greater spending.

To afford it all, Biden and a Democrat-controlled Congress would have to
impose unprecedented tax increases or accept catastrophic deficit spending.
Taxes and spending likely would increase under Trump, too, but the nation
stands a better chance of moderation and reform with him in the White House
than it does with Biden pushed left by progressives intent on reshaping
America to fit their fantastical vision.

This is an election that pits a wretched human being whose policies and
instincts for helping America thrive are generally correct against a
doddering, doting uncle who would hand out gifts the nation can’t afford in
order to win people’s love. Given that choice, economic policy and
principle should prevail. Vote for Donald Trump.

Send