[Vision2020] Justice in Policing Act

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Oct 26 05:22:39 PDT 2020

Justice in Policing Act
(author unknown)

This is our new normal changed reality
Millions marching to end police brutality
Hold accountable for their actions need transparency
Not just for the African-American community

Although it affects people of color disproportionately
As we’ve seen recently repeatedly unfortunately
But for everyone In this great country
The land of the brave and the home of the free

By improving training and setting accreditation standards for police activity
By banning discriminatory profiling and addressing the proclivity
To target and arrest African-Americans at disproportionate rates
Establishing a National Police Misconduct Registry for all 50 states

Reforming qualified immunity to make the police think twice
By allowing individuals to recover damages if they violate their constitutional rights
Changing the standard of prosecution for police misconduct
From “willfulness“ to “recklessness“ our future jurors to instruct

Bans choke and carotid holds so we never again need to hear “I can’t breathe“
And no-knock warrants so in our own homes we can peacefully sleep
Mandates the use of dashboard and body cameras so everyone can see
Stops the transfer of weapons of war from the military

Includes the Justice for Victims of Lynching Act
Which despite nearly unanimous approval by one man was held back
Requires data collection by race sex disability religion and age on use of force distribution
To quantify the problem and work towards a solution

Grants the Department of Justice Subpoena power and provides grants for independent investigation
Establishes a DOJ task force for coordination
Provides public safety innovation grants for community-based de-escalation
Moves from confrontation to cooperation

So that people of color are no longer seen as “a threat to be protected against instead of people worth protecting”
A problem that for hundreds of years has desperately needed correcting
For a systemic problem we need a comprehensive solution
To change our culture and manifest transformative national absolution.

http://www.moscowcares.com/

“A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.” - Roy E. Stolworthy