[Vision2020] Why platform and not people?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Oct 7 05:08:28 PDT 2020

Courtesy of today’s (October 7, 2020) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Shirley Ringo.

———————————————

Why platform and not people?

Have you written to a legislator or congressman asking for support on an issue of concern? Many of us have, and the response is often unsatisfactory. Suppose that, after the upcoming election, the delegation from District 5 consists of Caroline Nilsson Troy and her Republican colleagues.

Suppose you contact them because you believe funding for schools at the state level must improve. Your opinions would be in conflict with the Republican platform which states: “We recognize that more government spending does not necessarily generate improved schools.” In addition, public funds available may be diluted by the platform statement: “Tax credits for non-use of public schools and other forms of parental choice should be encouraged as competitive options for educating children.”

Suppose you believe individuals who home-school should be required to meet educational standards. Your opinions could be in conflict with the following statement from the Republican platform: “We believe parents have the right to educate their children at home, that court rulings that undermine these rights devalue the important role of parents and family in a child’s education.”

Suppose your concern relates to voting rights. According to the Republican platform, “We support restoration of the constitution’s checks and balances that protects the rights and sovereignty of the states by repealing the 17th amendment.” (This amendment gives the people the right to elect U.S. senators rather than legislators.)

I recommend that you study the Republican Party platform. Caroline Nilsson Troy and her Republican colleagues have signed something called an “Integrity in Affiliation” statement in which they pledge their support for the Idaho Republican platform as the standard by which their performance as a candidate and officeholder should be evaluated, without exception.

If you seek a representative who will listen to you, unconstrained by political party, please vote for Renee Love.

Shirley Ringo
Moscow

http://www.TomandRodna.com/MoscowCares

“A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.” - Roy E. Stolworthy