[Vision2020] What if . . .

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 21:06:16 PDT 2020

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett
------------------------------------
MAR 19, 2020
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/if-trump-declares-martial-law-due-to-coronavirus-can-he-suspend-the-election/

If Trump Declares Martial Law Due to Coronavirus, Can He Suspend the
Election?
Excerpt from article:

If our self-proclaimed “wartime president” were to declare martial law to
fight the pandemic, would he have the authority to suspend the election in
November? Josh Douglas, an election law scholar at the University of
Kentucky Law School, doesn’t believe so. “Even [martial law] would likely
not give him power to postpone election or delay end of his term on Jan.
20, 2021,” he tweeted
<https://twitter.com/JoshuaADouglas/status/1238875671386034176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1238875671386034176&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessinsider.com%2Ftrump-cant-cancel-or-postpone-the-november-election-over-coronavirus-2020-3>.
“As Supreme Court said in ex parte Milligan (1866), martial law does not
suspend the Constitution.”

But Ian Millhiser, a senior correspondent at Vox, where he covers Supreme
Court issues, points out that the courts usually defer to national security
decisions made by presidents, citing the Supreme Court’s decision to uphold
Japanese-American detention camps during World War II and, more recently,
President Trump’s Muslim travel ban. “American election law was not written
with a pandemic in mind,” he writes
<https://www.vox.com/2020/3/18/21183492/election-coronavirus-ohio-pandemic-supreme-court-speweik>.
“Extraordinary measures may be necessary to control the spread of
coronavirus for many months — possibly continuing well into the November
election season. And if those extraordinary measures do disrupt the general
elections, courts are likely to defer to public health officials even if
those officials act with partisan motivation.”

John W. Whitehead, founder and president of the Rutherford Institute, a
nonprofit civil liberties organization based in Charlottesville, Virginia,
views the coronavirus pandemic not as a test of our ability to come
together as a nation in a time of crisis, but rather as “a test to see
whether the Constitution—and our commitment to the principles enshrined in
the Bill of Rights—can survive a national crisis and a true state of
emergency
<https://www.globalresearch.ca/how-constitution-fare-during-nationwide-lockdown/5706172>
.”

Today in America, we find ourselves caught in the crosshairs of two
powerful, unpredictable and dangerous forces—Trumpism and coronavirus. The
stock market has lost all its gains since Trump took office
<https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-bump-flattened-post-inauguration-163524922.html>,
a 20 percent unemployment rate
<https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/politics/steven-mnuchin-unemployment-warning-coronavirus/index.html>
is
in the offing, and Americans are dying
<https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/>. Will we pass this
test? Will the Constitution survive?

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, agrees with the wartime footing
that Trump has initiated. “This is a war, we have to treat it like a war,”
Cuomo said
<https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-cuomo-respirator-20200319-xuimmmxatjcnpnvhvntqkp6mle-story.html>.
“In a war, you need the federal government.” Sure, states need help from
Washington to deal with the pandemic, from the health crisis itself to the
economic crisis it has spawned. But before tanks start rumbling down New
York’s Fifth Avenue and the Army Corps of Engineers cordons off
neighborhoods with bollards and barbed wire, Cuomo might consider the
warning of one of Trump’s more eloquent and sagacious predecessors, Thomas
Jefferson: “A government big enough to give you everything you want is big
enough to take away everything you have.”

Here's a recent discussion from the blog* Marginal Revolution:*