[Vision2020] Getting to a better place

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jun 8 05:14:56 PDT 2020

Courtesy of today’s (June 8, 2020) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with special thanks to Joann Muneta.
——————————————-

Getting to a better place

Although not all our members were able to attend the recent vigil in Friendship Square, the Latah County Human Rights Task Force stands united in solidarity with those seeking justice, fairness and an end to the police brutality that continues to be a part of the lives of African Americans in our country.

It is unbelievable and unconscionable that so many live in fear and have suffered cruelty and mistreatment for so long in our land that pledges liberty and justice for all. We all struggle with the question of how to get to a better place.

Clearly, we must start by listening, understanding, and believing the pain that is felt. But now is the time to move beyond that to action and reform starting with the widespread lack of accountability in so many of our nation’s police systems, But this is a symptom of the systematic racism that needs to be routed out. Our country is suffering from the virus of racism. We need to be united and active in searching for a cure. Clearly, the old normal is not working.

Our Task Force, friends, allies and so many others must have the strength and will to move forward to a new normal that includes respect and safe treatment for everyone. As Jenifer Lewis proclaims in her current video, “All hands on deck.”

Joann Muneta, Chair Latah County Human Rights Task Force
Moscow

http://www.TomandRodna.com/MoscowCares

“A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.” - Roy E. Stolworthy