[Vision2020] 6-3-20: Climate Scientist Benestad: Realclimate.org: "...visions for a sustainable future..."

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 18:53:15 PDT 2020

Optimism for a sustainable future?  If only I did not know better!
Ignorance is bliss...
-------------------------------------
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/rasmus-e-benestad/

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2020/06/2040/

‘2040’
Filed under:

   - Climate Science
   <http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/category/climate-science/>

 — rasmus @ 3 June 2020

After an absurd period with a real-life gloomy corona pandemic, lock-down
and unrest, it was quite refreshing to see visions for a sustainable future
in a new documentary ‘2040‘ <https://whatsyour2040.com/#> (link to trailer
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/leriurwbeh1phkm/AABclFl8bzBP7d7fhgd7GElKa?dl=0&preview=2040+Trailer+-+In+Theatres+June+5th+-+World+Environment+Day+-+New.mp4>).
Its message, through the voice of Damon Gameau, is about hope and is based
on rational thinking.

The video takes us to twenty years fast-forward to an imagined future. It
makes good use of effects that communicate. For instance, Damon Gameau
speaks with children about green and sustainable solutions and then makes
the time travel to show what such a future may look like when climate
change has stopped.

The documentary also makes use of some cool effects to demonstrate how
things work. But it is mostly about a positive message on solutions rather
than emphasising climate science and harmful consequences of climate
change.

There is an interesting timing with the release of ‘2040’, and hopefully it
will contribute to discussions about new solutions and how we can make use
of both technology and new behaviour to improve our lives and the health of
the planet. This is something that is already being discussed in Europe.

I thought the documentary made some interesting points about energy
production, how to make agriculture more sustainable through mixed crops
and good soil health, and how to use ocean resources. Another important
point is the importance of empowering girls and women. However, I’m not in
the position to say how successful the suggested solutions would be. I
guess we may know answers in 2040.