[Vision2020] Caturday (December 12, 2020)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Dec 12 05:26:36 PST 2020

 Weston Friends of Ferals & Strays reaches goal of 500 community cats fixed, just in time for Caturday.

Courtesy of the Weston Democrat (Weston, West Virginia) at:

https://www.wvnews.com/westondemocrat/news/weston-friends-of-ferals-strays-reaches-goal-of-500-community-cats-fixed/article_628e7e65-5030-5855-bb19-653091a8c14c.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

——————————————-
Weston Friends of Ferals & Strays reaches goal of 500 community cats fixed

A pair of animal lovers has proven just how big an impact you can make within your community with a bit of effort.

Weston Friends of Ferals and Strays is a local non-profit that has been helping community cats in Lewis County since 2016. In the few years since the organization began, it has helped spay, neuter and provide veterinary care for nearly 500 community cats.

Mark and Jill Brogan, a husband-and-wife team from Weston who also own the Lewis County Liquor Store, formed the organization once they realized the problem of stray and feral cats in Weston.

“People are always saying, ‘Somebody should do something,’ so we decided that we’re that somebody and we need to do something,” Jill Brogan said.

In 2016, the city of Weston began receiving numerous complaints about an overpopulation of stray and feral cats within city limits. The city then began trapping cats in the community and sending them to the Lewis-Upshur Animal Control Facility. The Brogans believed there was a better way to handle the issue.

The duo uses a method referred to as trap, neuter and release (TNR) to help keep the population of stray cats at a healthy number. They go to areas within the county that often have numerous stray cats and catch them in humane traps before taking them to a veterinarian. The cats then get spayed and neutered, and receive other appropriate medical care they typically wouldn’t receive. Once this is completed, the cats are returned to the areas where they were trapped and released.

“For community cats, they get the combo blood test, spay and neuter and a rabies vaccine. If they have fleas, ticks or ear mites, we also get that treated,” Jill added.

Although there are over 200 community cats currently on their waiting list, Mark and Jill have continued their efforts by taking two trips a month with 10 cats each time.

According to Jill, the trap, neuter and release program has been proven to be an extremely successful solution for stray cats. Not only does it help control the population of these animals, but stray cats in communities can help control unwanted pests such as mice, rats and snakes.

“There have been studies where they took away all of the cats, and within a couple of years they were overrun with rodents,” she said. “There has to be a balance in nature. You can’t have too many cats, but you also have to have some, or you will have rats and snakes.”

Since it first began, Weston Friends of Ferals & Strays has helped a total of 498 cats in Lewis County. Although this may not seem like a lot to some people, the number of cat litters this will prevent is a very large number. According to the National Humane Society of the U.S., just two breeding cats can create a total of over 10,000 cats within five years.

“Cats don’t have a good chance of getting out of the pound. By doing what we’re doing, it’s helping by keeping more cats out of the pound,” Jill said.

Just how much these two people love cats is obvious when you visit their business or home. When they first started this adventure, they only had three pets. The pair has now adopted a total of 50 cats, which they personally care for out of pocket instead of using funds from their non-profit operation.

Mark and Jill say the reason they’ve adopted so many cats is because the animals were unwanted in the areas they were previously living in, and they didn’t want to see them living in an animal shelter.

“The cats we have here, 50 of them, most of these came from places in town,” Jill added. “We always liked cats, but we never knew we were going to have this many. We pay all of their vetting, spay and neuter, medical, litter and everything out of our pocket.”

In addition to their TNR program, the Brogans also keep an animal food bank stocked for those in the community who need to use its services. Any area resident who helps by feeding stray cats can stop in to receive bags of food for free. The couple also provides animal “warm houses” during the cold winter months.

“We don’t do this for praise,” Mark said. “We do this to help the community and to help control the population of cats.”

Weston Friends of Ferals and Strays is a non-profit organization, so any donation made to the group is tax deductible. Donations can be made through PayPal or directly to the organization’s checking account at Citizens Bank in Weston.

——————-

Photo . . .

Walter, Gizmo, and Carson pose for a photo.  They are just a few of the 50 cats that Mark and Jill Brogan personally care for daily.
http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/Caturday/Caturday_121220.jpg

“Caturday” by Linus Petit
http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/Caturday/Caturday_by_Linus_Petit.mp3

http://www.TomandRodna.com/MoscowCares

“A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.” - Roy E. Stolworthy