[Vision2020] Idaho's House of Representatives votes to end Coronavirus Emergency effective immediately

Ron Force ronforce at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 16:04:41 PDT 2020

AG's analysis: HCR 1 illegal, wouldn't stand up in court

   - Posted by Betsy <https://www.idahopress.com/users/profile/brussell>
   - 1 hr ago
   -
   <https://www.idahopress.com/eyeonboise/ags-analysis-hcr-1-illegal-wouldnt-stand-up-in-court/article_f2030699-2835-50f1-bb78-5059a3e60310.html#comments>

   Idaho Attorney General's office has completed an analysis of the legality
   of HCR 1, the concurrent resolution the House passed this morning aimed at
   ending the current state of emergency in Idaho due to the COVID-19
   pandemic, and concluded that the measure "would carry no legal effect and
   likely be the subject of a successful legal challenge to its validity."

That's because the Idaho Constitution, in Article IV, Section 9, permits
only the governor to call a special session of the Legislature and to
determine the subject matter for the session; special sessions have no
power to legislate on any other subjects.
Gov. Brad Little issued his proclamation on Aug. 19, enumerating the
subjects and attaching three proposed bills, two on election rules for
November and one on civil liability. "No reference is made to calling the
Legislature into session to address whether the declaration of emergency
itself should continue," Assistant Chief Deputy Attorney General Brian Kane
wrote in the analysis, which I obtained through a public records request.

Rep. Steven Harris, R-Meridian, based HCR 1 on an existing law, Idaho Code
46-1008, that says, "The legislature by concurrent resolution may terminate
a state of disaster emergency at any time." But Kane found that the
Constitution specifies when the Legislature may be in session. "Thus, this
provision is likely only operable when the Legislature is in its regular
session, or when the Governor has identified an emergency proclamation as
the subject of an extra session."

Kane noted, "If the state Constitution and a statute conflict, the state
constitutional provision prevails."

If the House and Senate both were to pass HCR 1, Kane wrote, "It will
likely be the subject of a successful legal challenge."

The Senate hasn't taken any action as yet, since the House passed the
measure. Senate Republicans were in caucus this morning, and went back into
another closed-door caucus meeting at 3 p.m.

Senate Democrats caucused earlier, said Minority Leader Michelle Stennett,
D-Ketchum. Stennett, when asked about HCR 1, said, "I usually do my work
based on three things: Is it constitutional, is it enforceable, and how
does it improve the lives of the Idahoans we represent? And I personally
think it doesn't meet the first criteria."

When the Legislature passes unconstitutional legislation, she said, "In
court it will cost taxpayers a lot of money. It's not legal."

*Betsy Z. Russell is the Boise bureau chief and state capitol reporter for
the Idaho Press and Adams Publishing Group. Follow her on Twitter at
@BetsyZRussell.*

   - Facebook
   <https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.idahopress.com%2Feyeonboise%2Fags-analysis-hcr-1-illegal-wouldnt-stand-up-in-court%2Farticle_f2030699-2835-50f1-bb78-5059a3e60310.html%3Futm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Dfacebook%26utm_campaign%3Duser-share>
   - Twitter
   <https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?&text=AG%27s%20analysis%3A%20HCR%201%20illegal%2C%20wouldn%27t%20stand%20up%20in%20court&via=theidahopress&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.idahopress.com%2Feyeonboise%2Fags-analysis-hcr-1-illegal-wouldnt-stand-up-in-court%2Farticle_f2030699-2835-50f1-bb78-5059a3e60310.html%3Futm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Dtwitter%26utm_campaign%3Duser-share>
   - Email
   <?subject=%5BIdaho%20Press%5D%20AG%27s%20analysis%3A%20HCR%201%20illegal%2C%20wouldn%27t%20stand%20up%20in%20court&body=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.idahopress.com%2Feyeonboise%2Fags-analysis-hcr-1-illegal-wouldnt-stand-up-in-court%2Farticle_f2030699-2835-50f1-bb78-5059a3e60310.html%3Futm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Duser-share>
   - Print
   - Save <https://www.idahopress.com/content/tncms/live/#>

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA