[Vision2020] The House of Liberty

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Aug 9 04:55:14 PDT 2020

“The House of Liberty”
by Joyce Brown, age 16, McComb Freedom School

I came not for fortune, nor for fame,
I seek not to add glory to an unknown name,
I did not come under the shadow of night,
I came by day to fight for what's right.
I shan't let fear, my monstrous foe,
Conquer my soul with threat and woe.
Here I have come and here I shall stay,
And no amount of fear my determination can sway.

I asked for your churches, and you turned me down,
But I'll do my work if I have to do it on the ground,
You will not speak for fear of being heard,
So crawl in your shell and say, "Do not disturb."
You think because you've turned me away
You've protected yourself for another day.

But tomorrow surely must come,
And your enemy will still be there with the rising sun;
He'll be there tomorrow as all tomorrows in the past,
And he'll follow you into the future if you let him pass.
You've turned me down to humor him,
Ah! Your fate is sad and grim.
For even tho' your help I ask,
Even without it, I'll finish my task.

In a bombed house I have to teach my school,
Because I believe all men should live ~y the Golden Rule,
To a bombed house your children must come,
Because of your fear of a bomb,
And because you've let your fear conquer your soul,
In this bombed house these minds I must try to mold;
I must try to teach them to stand tall and be a man
When you, their parents, have cowered down and refused
to take a stand.

(Written for the opening of the McComb Freedom School on the grass before the bombed-out private home at which the school had to be held)

http://www.TomandRodna.com/MoscowCares

“A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.” - Roy E. Stolworthy