[Vision2020] Automobile gas prices 1 April 2020

Don Coombs wildmushroomer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 16:09:22 PDT 2020

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 10:45 AM Kenneth Marcy <kmmos1 at frontier.com>
wAutomobile gas prices  April 1, 2020

Don Coombs responds:

When I moved to Moscow 47 years ago the price of gasoline was 10 cents
higher than in Lewiston or other surrounding cities and it has ALWAYS been
that way. Nobody has ever offered up a compelling explanation, although
there have been a few journalistic attempts to figure it out.

As we all know, gas often has been cheaper in small towns east of Moscow
than in Moscow. (Towns where gas obviously has to be trucked through Moscow
to their service stations.)

And now Ken Marcy has called our attention to something surprising:

We are not paying 10 cents a gallon more than other drivers in other Idaho
cities, we are paying

70 cents a gallon more!

I didn't need to check the url Ken provided -- I fueled up north of Post
Falls in Idaho a couple days ago for $1.95.

However: I think the 70 cents difference is not the problem. It's almost
certain that when the price of gas went down, the stations north of Moscow
immediately reduced the "price of the pump," while stations here did not.

(My partner lives in Priest River and you can guess where I buy gasoline.)

The PROBLEM, as I see it, is that for 47 years or more drivers in Moscow
have been paying 10 plus cents a gallon for gasoline more than is
justified. Think about how much that adds up to. (I remain open, of course,
to seeing some justification.) (Without such justification I would be moved
to think a few people have slowly sucked a fortune out of people here in
the Palouse.)

Don Coombs