[Vision2020] Caturday (September 21, 2019)

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Sep 21 05:13:22 PDT 2019

"I'm not a hero. I just feel they get a bum rap. They didn't ask for this life. They have a right to live. They have a right to be happy". Paging the hero tag to Caturday.

Courtesy of Bay News (St. Petersburg, Florida) at:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2019/09/16/everyday-hero--helping-control-cat-population?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

——————————————

EVERYDAY HERO: Helping Control Cat Population

ZEPHYRHILLS, Fla. — Our latest Everyday Hero loves feline friends and is doing all she can to help them out.

From the sign on the wall in her Zephyrhills home to the locket she wears, it’s clear that Rose Severance is all about cats.

“In my 68 years i don’t think I ever met anyone who is as dedicated and compassionate about something as Rose,” said neighbor Ed Chapman.

For the past three years the focus of Rose’s dedication and compassion is cat over population and a program called TNR - trap, neuter, return.

Stray and feral cats most often live in colonies. Setting a “have a heart’ trap begins with a can of food as bait.

“When they walk in, there’s a pressure plate,” Severance said. “When they step on that pressure plate the door on the trap closes.”

The cat is then taken to the vet where it is examined and given needed shots, is neutered and then returned to live out its life where it keeps down the rodent population as well as other pests.

And every now and then one winds up moving in. Seven cats currently reside with Rose.

The new kid in town is Minnie. When Rose found her she was a very sick kitten, all alone and weighing just seven ounces. Fortunately the veterinarian was able to save her.

To date Rose has rescued about 100 cats while assuming the majority of the costs.

And she has no plans of slowing down.

“I’m not a hero. I just feel they get a bum rap,” she said. “They didn’t ask for this life. They have a right to live. They have a right to be happy. So we just need to stop the over population.”

“Caturday” by Linus Petit
http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/Caturday/Caturday_by_Linus_Petit.mp3

http://www.MoscowCares.com