[Vision2020] City Council Must Serve the Community, Not a Special Interest Group

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Mon Oct 28 02:36:13 PDT 2019

Courtesy of today’s (October 28, 2019) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with special thanks to Moscow’s own Nick Sanyal.

Council must serve people, not a church or business

Jim Boland and Kathryn Bonzo, our two retiring city council members, served Moscow well. I graciously thank them for their dedicated service and accessibility. Their time was a labor of love, humility and selflessness, dedicated to the public good and born of informed decision making and inclusivity.

Public service is the highest form of civic engagement and is designed to help integrate the past, present and future of a community into a cohesive and functioning society of equals. There is no man behind the curtain and his band of 12 elder men, calling the shots. There is no narrow, divisive and demeaning theology that demands a higher allegiance than all the women and men of Moscow do. Councilors must serve only us; not their church or business. The only special interest is us! I want my city council members to be unabashedly dedicated to the public good and civic service. That means listening to, understanding, appreciating and supporting all the good that Moscow represents. I want my council members to have shown that they can serve in the public good, that they can speak for and serve all of us equally and without hesitation. I seek representation by fellow citizens who have served and volunteered on public committees and boards and who have a demonstrated record of supporting inclusive public causes through their work with nonprofit organizations or state institutions.

Join me in electing Sandra Kelly and Maureen Laflin, and reelecting Anne Zabala, to the Moscow City Council. Their service, altruism and dedication to the public good have already made us a more resilient and sustainable community.

Nick Sanyal, Moscow

Seeya at the polls, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com