[Vision2020] House Republican holds up $19 billion disaster relief bill expected to pass unanimously

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri May 24 09:02:26 PDT 2019

Courtesy of CNBC at:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/24/republican-holds-up-disaster-relief-bill-expected-to-pass-unanimously.html

———————————————

House Republican holds up $19 billion disaster relief bill expected to pass unanimously

KEY POINTS

-	Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, has objected to a $19.1 billion disaster relief bill that was expected to sail through Friday.

-	The bill, which was expected to pass the House under a unanimous consent process, which any member may object to,  is likely to next be considered when lawmakers return June 3.

————-

Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, has objected to a $19.1 billion disaster relief bill that was expected to sail through Friday, an unexpected move that has stalled the measure from becoming law.

The bill was expected to pass the House under a unanimous consent process, to which any member may object. It is likely to be revisited when lawmakers return June 3.

“I’m here today primarily because if I do not object Congress will have passed into law a bill that spends $19 billion of taxpayer money without members of Congress being present here in our nation’s capital to vote on it,” Roy said on the House floor.

“Secondly, it’s a bill that includes nothing to address the clear national emergency and humanitarian crisis we face at our southern border,” Roy said.

A companion measure passed in the Senate on Thursday. The bill included about $1 billion in funding for Puerto Rico relief. President Donald Trump has declared the situation on the southern border a national emergency and had previously sought to include border-related funding in the bill, before dropping the demand.

“After President Trump and Senate Republicans delayed disaster relief for more than four months, it is deeply disappointing that House Republicans are now making disaster victims wait even longer to get the help they need,” House Appropriations Committee Chairwoman Rep. Nita Lowey, D-N.Y., said in a statement.

Roy previously served as the chief of staff to Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.

http://www.MoscowCares.com

“You’re a Mean One, Mr. Trump”
http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/Songs/Donald_Trump/Youre_a_Mean_One_Mr_Trump.mp3