[Vision2020] Trump says progressive congresswomen should 'go back' to countries they 'originally came from'

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 17:50:24 PDT 2019

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett
***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2000 through life
plus 70 years, Ted Moffett.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce
outside the Vision2020.Moscow.com <http://vision2020.moscow.com/> forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****
My quick impression was that the subject heading indicated a satirical
commentary, not an actual comment from Trump.  Of course it might be that
Trump did not
actually write the tweets quoted, given some of his tweets may be composed
by White House "speech" writers?

Trump's reality TV show presidency renders it sometimes difficult to
distinguish between what seems too outrageous and ridiculous to be real,
from the reality.

But what some are labeling the "left wing" of the Democratic Party (Ilhan
Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, etc.) is providing fodder for Republican
Party strategists
to stigmatize the democrats as too extreme in criticisms of the US,
threatening "real" Americans with dangerous sympathy for "foreigners" or
"illegals" or those with
unpatriotic multicultural multiracial diversity ideals.

Witness this recent development in Idaho, that might be ideologically
linked to the partisan political polarized climate that is exploited by
Trump etc. involved in the
comments referenced in the subject heading of this post:

https://www.idahopress.com/news/state/house-republicans-criticize-bsu-diversity-programs-in-letter-to-new/article_1095e75a-f66a-5af5-b111-f6c04f1048d8.html

28 House Republicans criticize BSU diversity programs in letter to new
president

   - By NATHAN BROWN nbrown at postregister.com
   - Jul 11, 2019

Twenty-eight House Republicans sent a letter to Boise State University’s
new president Tuesday criticizing the university’s diversity-related
programs and asking her to take the school down a different path.

The letter, which was sent to Boise State University President Marlene
Tromp and written by Rep. Barbara Ehardt, R-Idaho Falls, faults these
programs for dividing people and connects them to rising tuition.

“This drive to create a diversified and inclusive culture becomes divisive
and exclusionary because it separates and segregates students,” Ehardt
wrote. “These initiatives by nature highlight differences and suggest that
certain groups are treated unequally now — and that BSU should redress
these grievances.”

The letter is framed as a response to a newsletter former BSU Acting
President Martin Schimpf sent out a month ago highlighting the university’s
spending on programs supporting minority students and touting efforts to
increase the recruitment of minority faculty and students. Tromp was named
BSU’s president in April and only recently took the reins.

“It is clear to me that students, faculty and staff across campus
understand the importance of Boise State being a leader on inclusive
excellence — not only because it is the right thing to do, but because it
is vital to maintaining our ability to serve our students into the future,”
Schimpf wrote.

The letter’s signatories include Majority Leader Mike Moyle, R-Star;
Assistant Majority Leader Jason Monks, R-Nampa; and local Reps. Bryan
Zollinger, R-Idaho Falls; Chad Christensen, R-Ammon; Julianne Young,
R-Blackfoot; Kevin Andrus, R-Lava Hot Springs; Randy Armstrong, R-Inkom;
Dorothy Moon, R-Stanley; and Terry Gestrin, R-Donnelly.

Ehardt said she and the other lawmakers hope the letter marks the start of
a conversation with BSU.

“Both myself and my fellow legislators certainly want to begin a dialogue
as to the direction of higher education in Idaho,” she said. “We’ll
continue to proceed, and we want to make sure we’re focusing on academic
excellence. And then we also want to make sure as best we can that an
education in Idaho is affordable to Idaho kids.”

Ehardt said similar initiatives have created division and chaos elsewhere
and go against the principle that people should be judged on individual
merit.

“As Gov. (Brad) Little has said, we do things the Idaho way,” she said. “We
believe in traditional values such as being rewarded for hard work.”

BSU spokesman Greg Hahn had no immediate response, saying he was unable to
reach Tromp on Thursday.

Ehardt lists numerous programs at BSU that she says are “antithetical to
the Idaho way,” criticizing support for multicultural student events and
graduate school preparation courses and fellowships that target
underrepresented groups. BSU, Ehardt wrote, should focus on programs that
benefit all students instead. The letter also connects these programs to
tuition, which is set to go up 5 percent for 2019-2020 and has increased
nearly 14 percent over the past three years.

“As legislators, our constituents always ask us about the rapidly
increasing cost of college tuition,” Ehardt wrote. “They rightly note that
tuition hikes put degrees out of reach for the average Idaho student. The
cost of college is a factor in some students dropping out. Yet instead of
looking to assist our students, Boise State is adding unnecessary costs.”

She lists numerous programs that, she said, add costs, including targeting
undocumented immigrants whose parents brought them to the United States as
children to apply for Opportunity Scholarships “even though the state
turned down 1,780 Idaho applicants in 2018;” hiring an American Indian
liaison and a staffer to support first-generation nonwhite students;
another new staffer in the provost’s office dedicated to diversity and
inclusion; and spending $25,000 to attract more minority job candidates and
$30,000 to support “multicultural student events, including Pow Wow,
Rainbow Graduation, Black Graduation, (and) Project Dream.”

he legislators’ letter makes many of the same points Idaho Freedom
Foundation President Wayne Hoffman did in a column last month criticizing
the programs mentioned in Schimpf’s newsletter. The libertarian-leaning
group put out a statement Thursday backing the lawmakers’ message.

“IFF applauds the 28 House members who bravely spoke up today, and we join
the chorus,” said IFF Vice President Fred Birnbaum. “IFF urges President
Tromp to avoid buying into the radical left-wing agenda that has ruined the
academic experience of millions of students on campuses across America.”

Reporter Nathan Brown can be reached at 208-542-6757. Follow him on
Twitter: @NateBrownNews.

Courtesy of *NBC News* at: