[Vision2020] Proud of our community

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Mon Jan 28 02:12:45 PST 2019

Courtesy of today’s (January 28, 2019) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Joann Muneta.

———————————————

Letter: Proud of our community

Today, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, my heart is full of gratitude and pride. We should all share the pride at the way our community and region come together to present and attend the many diverse and significant events and commemorations that remind ourselves and others of the importance of human rights and social justice. I am grateful for all who work on and attend these events and programs, and grateful for the way our local newspapers, the Daily News and the Lewiston Tribune, cover them so well.

The Martin Luther King Human Rights Community Breakfast, which once again sold out, is an example of the dedication and collaboration that honors Dr. King and his teachings. The event, which is put on by the Latah County Human Rights Task Force, is supported by the city of Moscow Human Rights Commission, the University of Idaho Office of Multicultural Affairs, the Moscow School District, AmeriCorps volunteers and, most importantly, by the students of Moscow High School Human Rights and International Club. We also need to thank the teachers of Russell, Lena Whitmore, St. Mary's, McDonald, Moscow Charter and Potlatch Elementary schools and Moscow Middle School who guided their students to participate in the Martin Luther King Jr. Art and Essay Contest. We had the widest participation ever in this project.

I cannot list all the events such as the Women's Marches in Moscow and Grangeville, the Interfaith Service in Pullman, the book reading and panel at Book People and Black History events to come. I know we will all strive to keep the flame of justice burning brightly and to have our actions match the words we have spoken and heard on this holiday. As essay winner, Mia Almazan, of Potlatch Elementary School, wrote, "Martin Luther King Jr. would be very proud of the choices you made."

Joann Muneta
Chair of Latah County Human Rights Task Force
Moscow

——————

Photos and videos of the 2019 Martin Luther King Human Rights Community Breakfast . . .
http://www.tomandrodna.com/MoscowCares/MLK_Breakfast/2019/

http://www.MoscowCares.com