[Vision2020] Answering Questions Raised by Todays Daily News Article

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 12:22:12 PST 2019

I have received a number of questions about the Latah Recovery Center
raised by Bill Spence's recent Daily News article.

The article painted an accurate picture of how Idaho's 9 Recovery Community
Centers started, funding history, current funding efforts and portrayal of
the difficulties of keeping the 9 centers funded.  Some centers have had to
move, reduce staff, furlough, etc to make their budgets work.

I concur with everything stated in the article.

It fell short in explaining what the Centers proposed for Millennium
Funding this year.  This note explains how the Latah Recovery Center is
funded, current Millennium Fund request, and the local impact on our Center
of Governor Little's budget re-directing the Millennium Fund.

*How is the Latah Recovery Center funded?*
We currently budget 30% of our money to come from local individuals and
businesses. This comes from our annual Fundraising Breakfast on March 6,
and Soups On! in the fall.  65% of our budget comes from various government
entities.  We have excellent support from Latah County, and participate in
a statewide contract with all 9 Recovery Community Centers from the Idaho
Department of Health and Welfare.  The remaining 5% of our budget comes
from generous support by Gritman, and other grants.

None of this years budget came from the Millennium Fund.

*What did the Millennium Fund Proposal Request?*
This years application was made by Idaho's 9 Recovery Community Centers to
provide outreach to our surrounding rural communities.  Specifically, the
Latah Recovery Center hopes to outreach to the White Pine, Genessee and
Potlatch areas.  This outreach was to include recovery coaching, meeting
space, etc.

If the Millennium Fund funds our proposal, we will expand our current
budget to provide these extended services.

If the Millennium Fund does not fund our request, it does not impact the
Latah Recovery Center's current operations.  We will continue to look for
ways to fund the desperately needed outreach to our states rural citizens
that all quoted in the article agree is needed.

If you have any questions, please contact me.