[Vision2020] 50 years ago today...

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 02:21:42 PST 2019

After Googling "greatest tragedy rock and roll death" I found the following
Rolling Stone magazine article from 2017 "Celebrity Deaths That Changed
Music History.".  The first on the list is indeed Buddy Holly:
"...the 22-year-old died in a plane crash alongside fellow stars the Big
Bopper and Ritchie Valens. The crash was later dubbed “The Day the Music
Died” by Don McLean in his signature hit “American Pie.”

Second on the list?  Patsy Cline!  I don't know... Jimi Hendrix's death,
given his astonishing musical visionary capabilities, might be the greatest
tragedy of all... Talk about the music dying!  We will never know what he
could have created if he had lived...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/celebrity-deaths-that-changed-music-history-gone-too-soon-195319/buddy-holly-7-195434/

"Although she lived only a year and two months longer than 29-year-old Hank
Williams had, Patsy Cline secured her legacy as one of the greatest vocal
talents of the 20th century by fusing country charm and big-city boldness
to a sterling voice that was as adept at honky-tonk weepers as it was
lushly orchestrated pop standards. Hits like “I Fall to Pieces,” “Walkin’
After Midnight” and Willie Nelson’s “Crazy” accompanied her slow ascent to
stardom, while posthumous releases “Sweet Dreams (of You)” and “Faded Love”
kept her in the spotlight after her death in a plane crash in Camden,
Tennessee. In fact, her legend only flourished in the decades after her
demise. In 1973, Cline became the first solo female artist elected to the
Country Music Hall of Fame, even ahead of the genre-defining Kitty Wells.
Portrayals by Oscar nominees Beverly D’Angelo (in the 1980 Loretta Lynn
biopic *Coal Miner’s Daughter*) and Jessica Lange (1985’s *Sweet Dreams*),
and continuing interest in her hits via jukeboxes and karaoke, spurred
Cline’s *Greatest Hits* album to sales in excess of 10 million,
earning a *Guinness
World Records* spot for its chart longevity. Now, there’s even a shrine to
the inimitable vocalist in downtown Nashville: the Patsy Cline Museum
houses memorabilia from her 1961 Carnegie Hall debut, her history-making
Las Vegas engagement the following year and the elegant wristwatch she was
wearing when she died just a few months later. Over half a century since
her tragic passing, Cline remains a direct and long-lasting influence –
just listen to stylists like Reba McEntire, Kacey Musgraves and LeAnn Rimes
for proof."
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

Regarding what is "rock and roll's biggest tragedy" is entirely subjective,