[Vision2020] Gun control in Moscow (the one in Idaho) . . . or lack thereof in Boise . . .

Ron Force ronforce at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 16:39:35 PDT 2019

I wouldn't say "Boise" as the people and politicians of the city of Boise
might be closer to the attitudes of Moscow than "the "State of Idaho".
After all, Brad little is from Emmett (pop. 6500).

*As a lifetime member of the NRA, I am a strong defender of the 2nd
Amendment. The 2nd Amendment in Idaho is a sacred trust guaranteed by our
Constitution--a fundamental and irrevocable right. Not only are guns vital
to our way of life, they are important to our economy.*
https://www.ontheissues.org/Governor/Brad_Little_Gun_Control.htm

Here's an interesting take by Will Wilkinson on differing perceptions of
weapons regulation between urban and rural:

In more rural areas, libertarian intuitions seem more sensible. For many
actions, external costs decline pretty directly with distance. In places
sufficiently sprawled that parking is rarely an issue but nearly all
interaction is mediated by an automobile journey, a kind of hermetically
sealed, climate-controlled pod-world serves as both an insulator and
diffuser. The external cost to you if some kind of eyesore becomes your
“neighbor” is much less if your neighbor is well down the road and you just
have to drive past it than if it is literally adjacent to your home. The
dangers you (or at least wussy urbanites like me) might fear from rough
clientele at a gun range are attenuated if the clientele doesn’t actually
congregate anywhere in particular, because once they step from the parking
lot into their vehicles they are everywhere and nowhere at once. Gun
ownership itself looks very different from the perspective of someone
living in the countryside, for whom policing and eyes-on-the-street
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Jacobs> mutual supervision cannot be
relied upon and an unintended stray bullet is unlikely to hit anything more
vulnerable than a tree, than within a city. In an urban context, the
external costs of pervasive gun ownership are large. Weapons might fall
into the hands of lunatics and criminals, and there are always lunatics and
criminals nearby. Incautious shots intended recreationally could harm or
kill someone. The petty conflicts that are ubiquitous in urban life, that
in the ordinary course of things flare hot and then are quickly forgotten,
might needlessly escalate to tragedy, when the satisfying punctuation of a
trigger is near at hand. People who live in sprawl or genuinely rural
places just don’t bump into one another as much. Their homes are their
castles. Driveways and garages, cul-de-sacs and long ribbons of asphalt,
serve as moats. A real sphere of privacy exists, where in general the
effects, good and bad, of people’s actions are mostly restricted to those
within the household. If we accept that, except in extreme circumstances,
households are best placed to see to their own interests, then there is not
much call or place for external regulation. What people do with and on
their own property is, to a good approximation, their own affair, and
meddling by outsiders, whether well-intended or corrupt, is likely to do
more harm than good. This is *externality optimism*. If the costs and
benefits of people’s choices are fully internalized, they can be left to do
whatever they wish.
https://www.interfluidity.com/v2/7230.html

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA