[Vision2020] A tribute to . . .

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri May 25 18:38:14 PDT 2018

MP3?  May the Goddess of beautiful recorded music save us!

I have a CD of Mathis's "Greatest Hits."  I often dismiss such collections
as commercialized pandering to music marketing that overlooks a lot of
great music,
but on this CD Mathis's voice reveals a recording with much warmth,
richness and depth.  Hard to believe his hit "Misty" was from 1959!  Maybe
it was recorded with vacuum tube amplification?

In contrast, to compare to a singer from roughly the same time period, a CD
of Patsy Cline's "Greatest Hits"  reveals a recording with more edge and
grit... Too bad, given Cline's amazing singing voice, that I feel is
more honest to her unique musical spirit than the apparently beautiful but
perhaps artificial Johnny Mathis...
Mathis hit a certain successful style that he exploited commercially to the
point of redundancy...

Patsy Cline's famous hit "Crazy" from 1961 was composed by Willie Nelson,
long before Nelson became famous himself!
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett