[Vision2020] It is a puzzle

rosejhuskey at gmail.com rosejhuskey at gmail.com
Fri May 11 12:53:55 PDT 2018

to me why a candidate who wishes to represent District 5 in the Idaho House
of Representatives apparently has little respect for the law.  His "skill"
in understanding and applying the principals of constitutional law (which I
happily confess surpass mine) may be rightfully considered limited when
compared to those members of the legislature who have spent years engaged in
the study and practice of that field.  it is plain, even to me, that his
sophomoric arguments suggest intellectual limitations that may hamper his
effectiveness if elected.

Rose Huskey

Daily News - May 11, 2018

Candidate Heath: A fugitive for 10 years

State legislative candidate says he avoided serving sentence out of
principle

<http://dnews.com/local/heath-a-fugitive-for-years/article_f0c5a1ab-3dd2-58f
f-965a-9b20151a41d4.html>
http://dnews.com/local/heath-a-fugitive-for-years/article_f0c5a1ab-3dd2-58ff
-965a-9b20151a41d4.html

For 10 years, Hari Heath was a fugitive from the law and on the run.

The Santa, Idaho, Republican who is running for Idaho's 5th District House
Seat A openly admits as much.

Heath, though, said his evasions were justified because the federal
government violated his constitutional rights in a case stemming from a 1997
incident involving a U.S. Forest Service officer.

"Basically they were completely wrong - they violated the Constitution,"
Heath told the Daily News on Thursday. "They violated their own rules, the
Forest Service officer lied - so it was wrong. It was a matter of principle,
so as a principled person, I didn't volunteer (to go to jail)."

According to federal court documents obtained by the Daily News, the officer
encountered Heath and 15 to 20 other people, some of whom were swimming
nude, near Cotter Bar picnic area in Idaho County.

Heath was sentenced to six months in jail with three months suspended and
two years probation for interfering with the official duties of the U.S.
Forest Service by leaving the scene of an investigation. Heath says the
charges were not justified - and to date he has not served the sentence.

Heath failed to surrender to the Latah County Jail on Dec. 1, 2000, as
ordered by a United States District Court for the District of Idaho judge. A
warrant for Heath's arrest was issued four days later.

Heath appealed the court's decision on the grounds that he was denied a
trial by jury, and he alleged the U.S. Forest Service officer had lied in
court. His appeal was dismissed.

Concurrent with the federal court case, Heath said he was also appealing a
conviction for driving with an invalid license and three charges for
contempt of court in Benewah County.

According to court documents, on March 29 , 2000, Heath was sentenced to
serve 180 days in jail with 45 days suspended and two years probation for
the four convictions. Heath said during the appeal process for those
convictions, the federal warrant was issued and he was unable to continue
pursuing the appeal without being arrested in the courtroom.

"I had an appeal with the case which I could no longer prosecute," he said.

When he failed to serve his sentence in Benewah County as well, a second
warrant was issued.

Heath said for 10 years he flew under the radar, using a false ID and
"finding ways to live without getting caught." Heath said he was a logger
and worked construction and did whatever he could do to support his family.

"It is difficult working without a name," he said.

Heath also said he did not pay taxes during those 10 years.

On March 26, 2010, Heath was arrested during a traffic stop by a Bonner
County Sheriff's deputy who determined Heath had a 10-year-old Benewah
County warrant outstanding. The traffic stop also resulted in Heath being
convicted of providing a false name and date of birth to an officer. A
charge for possessing a concealed weapon without a permit was dropped.

According to court documents, Heath served 53 days in jail to fulfill his
sentences in Benewah and Bonner counties.

While Heath was in the Bonner County Jail, the federal case warrant was
subsequently quashed by the courts in April 2010. Traci Whelan, assistant
United States attorney for the District of Idaho, said it is not entirely
clear why the warrant was dismissed.

"I can't tell you why it was dismissed," she said. "My best guess is (a
witness) was not available or he was not able to be arrested."

Heath said he avoided his sentences out of principal.

"That was my reason for the choices I made," he said. "I didn't hurt
anybody, and I learned a lot."

A Google search of Heath also turns up several articles he has written for
the Idaho Observer. One of the most notable being an article in which the
title includes the N-word. In the article, Heath argues everyone is enslaved
on the federal government's plantation.

Heath said he has been working for the past 10 years to put some of the most
relevant articles he has written into a book, particularly the ones that
focus on trying to find solutions to "the bad" governing forces and
corporate issues.