[Vision2020] The universal occupation

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Wed Jan 24 01:23:45 PST 2018

Courtesy of today’s (January 24, 2018) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with special thanks to Linda Pike.

——————————————-

Letter: The universal occupation

Most people eventually become caregivers or receive caregiving - it has been called the universal occupation. After my husband had hip replacement surgery and was discharged from the hospital my journey began. I don't have a medical background. Soon, his whole leg swelled, getting him in and out of bed and the car was problematic, and the surgical site was eventually infected.

I believe if I had been told about these potential problems and what to do, it would have been a big help. I was not trained on how to care for him, and we both got worn out and frustrated.

That's why I believe the Idaho Family Caregiver Act is so important. It's a common sense solution to support family caregivers - like me - and is currently being considered by members of the Idaho Legislature. The bill features three important provisions:

1. Upon admission into a hospital, the patient is asked if they want to record the name of a family caregiver. With the patient's consent, the name of the family caregiver is recorded.

2. That caregiver is notified if the patient is to be discharged to another facility or back home.

3. The facility must provide instructions of the medical tasks - such as medication management, injections, wound care and transfers - that the family caregiver will need to perform at home.

I urge you to contact your legislators and ask them to support the Idaho Family Caregiver Act by recognizing the critical role family caregivers play in keeping their loved ones out of costly institutions.

Linda Pike
Moscow

————————

More information concerning the Idaho Family Caregiver Act . . .

https://states.aarp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Idaho-Caregiver-Act-Information.pdf

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com