[Vision2020] Slow down

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Feb 10 01:21:47 PST 2018

Courtesy of today’s (February 10, 2018) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Amy Mazur.

———————————————-

Letter: Slow down

Public consultation on the Third Street bridge is needed now.

I attended the Feb. 6 Moscow City Council special meeting on the Third Street Corridor options. I was already angry and dismayed that the proposed Third Street bridge is being designed as a vehicle bridge through seemingly blind obedience to planning decisions made 34 years ago and quietly embedded in the budget process last spring.

Sure, the letter of the law allows opportunity to comment during the budget process, but as Councilmember Kathryn Bonzo pointed out that night, the two thick volumes of budget worksheets are not very accessible to the public. No specific notice was given that this long buried and very divisive issue was being considered.

I was even more disappointed after the meeting. We were told by the mayor that the bridge was not up for discussion, even though the 900-pound gorilla in the room was the bridge. All three options for the corridor contained extensive "traffic calming" infrastructure that increased traffic caused by the bridge will bring.

Four people articulated the need to revisit the decision about the bridge in a public forum. The request was also made respectfully by two new City Council members. The mayor responded by stating the money was already appropriated, and one council member chastised anyone for raising the issue. We need to have an open and respectful public meeting on this, where all voices can be heard, and not be making decisions that shape our community today based on the dated decisions of councils long past.

Amy Mazur, Moscow

For more information . . .

Third Street Bridge
http://www.MoscowCares.com/Third_Street_Bridge