[Vision2020] The power of motion . . .

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Fri Feb 9 08:50:33 PST 2018

Courtesy of today’s (February 9, 2018) Lewiston Tribune.

———————————————

The power of motion
Contemporary dance company based in Denver performs for Lapwai Elementary students

LAPWAI - Students at Lapwai Elementary School were treated to a crash course in hip-hop history and performances as the Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble debuted its skills to a gymnasium packed with kids Thursday afternoon.

The ensemble, based out of Denver, is touring through spring. The nonprofit organization promotes itself as a cultural ambassador that spreads the energy and spirit of dance to the communities it visits.

Lapwai Elementary Principal Teri Wagner said the performance is a great way to expose students to different cultures.

"Any kind of cultural exchange is fabulous," she said. "Our kids are connected to their own culture and dance, and when they see the same thing with other cultures it's great."

The students participated in the interactive performance by sharing some of their own moves with the dancers of the ensemble, who are from various states and as far away as South Korea.

Abby Glanville, the executive director of Festival Dance and Performing Arts Association, said her organization has brought various performances to the Lapwai schools through the help of grant funding provided in part by the Nez Perce Tribal Education Fund.

"The arts in general, because of funding, are being cut," Glanville said. "If we didn't bring this here, they wouldn't be able to experience it. ... It kind of opens a window to the world."

Glanville said Festival Dance, based out of Moscow, focuses on bringing multicultural performances to the local area.

In the past, they have brought in American Indian and African-themed dance groups.

A member of the Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble told the students that hip hop is "a way of life." Urban youth started the underground movement in the 1970s. Since that time, it has grown to encompass other styles of dance.

The ensemble, a leading African-American contemporary dance company, will perform at various locations, including Saturday night at the Jones Theatre on the Washington State University campus.

Cleo Parker Robinson, the founder and artistic director of the ensemble, said former Nez Perce students have joined her institution.

"I want to give thanks to our ancestors because we are on the land of First Nation," she told the students in her closing remarks.

——————

Lapwai Elementary School students watch performers from the Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble at the school on Thursday afternoon.
http://www.moscowcares.com/Photos/LewTrib/LewTrib_020918_01.jpg

Several groups of adventurous Lapwai students tried moving their feet with the visiting dancers.
http://www.moscowcares.com/Photos/LewTrib/LewTrib_020918_02.jpg

http://www.MoscowCares.com