[Vision2020] Greta Thunberg Speech at UN Climate Change COP24 Conference: Comment by Stefan Rahmstorf

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 16:33:15 PST 2018

This young person's intelligence, global awareness and compassion is
intensely inspiring.
Consider her looking forward to her 75th birthday, and the questions she
might receive from her children... Most *adults *with children do not as
wisely
consider the future their children will inherit on their 75th birthday,
given climate change.

Her speech as mentioned in subject heading is on YouTube link below, with
the transcript copied from Dailykos.com.  On the Dailykos.com website below
is a comment connected to Thunberg from none other than the illustrious
Stefan Rahmstorf, one of the most brilliant climate scientists on the
planet.
--------------------------------------
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett
***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2000 through life
plus 70 years, Ted Moffett.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce
outside the Vision2020.Moscow.com <http://vision2020.moscow.com/> forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****
------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFkQSGyeCWg
--------------------------------------
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/12/16/1819508/-A-Call-to-Action-on-Climate-Change-by-15-year-Old-Greta-Thunberg

My name is Greta Thunberg. I am 15 years old, and I’m from Sweden. I speak
on behalf of Climate Justice Now!

Many people say that Sweden is just a small country, and it doesn’t matter
what we do. *But I’ve learned that you are never too small to make a
difference*. And if a few children can get headlines all over the world
just by not going to school, then imagine what we could all do together if
we really wanted to.

But to do that, we have to speak clearly, no matter how uncomfortable that
may be. You only speak of green eternal economic growth because you are too
scared of being unpopular. *You only talk about moving forward with the
same bad ideas that got us into this mess, even when the only sensible
thing to do is pull the emergency brake*. *You are not mature enough to
tell it like it is. Even that burden you leave to us children*.

But I don’t care about being popular. I care about climate justice and the
living planet. *Our civilization is being sacrificed for the opportunity of
a very small number of people to continue making enormous amounts of money*.
Our biosphere is being sacrificed so that rich people in countries like
mine can live in luxury. *It is the sufferings of the many which pay for
the luxuries of the few.*

The year 2078, I will celebrate my 75th birthday. If I have children, maybe
they will spend that day with me. Maybe they will ask me about you. Maybe
they will ask why you didn’t do anything while there still was time to
act. *You
say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their
future in front of their very eyes*.

Until you start focusing on what needs to be done, rather than what is
politically possible, there is no hope. *We cannot solve a crisis without
treating it as a crisis*. We need to keep the fossil fuels in the ground,
and we need to focus on equity. *And if solutions within the system are so
impossible to find, then maybe we should change the system itself*.

*We have not come here to beg world leaders to care*. You have ignored us
in the past, and you will ignore us again. We have run out of excuses, and
we are running out of time. *We have come here to let you know that change
is coming, whether you like it or not. The real power belongs to the people*.
Thank you.